ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 20, 2009

The recession and the new playground

I have seen many changes in and around my community in the last year as our nation has sunk into a recession. My own family was impacted by a 4 month lay off and we have watched many people in our community go through job loss, pay cuts, and spending freezes. It is a tough thing to watch, but seeing people rally around their friends and family to help each other get through it has been a joy.

One of the changes that took me by surprise was going to the playground recently. As my friend and I pushed our children on the swings and followed them around the playground, parents started showing up with their children. Fully half of the parents were men who were out of work. I watched them group together and talk about job hunting and wanting to stay local so they wouldn't miss their children growing up.


Read the rest of my article The recession and the new playground at the Examiner.

2 people think my kids are qtpies:

Grandma J said...

Where was this playground? It doesn't look familiar to me at all. Did you go to another town??

Lisa said...

Belive it or not, I think the playground would be a great place for dad's to network about different job leads they have heard of. I know our church puts job leads in the weekly bull