ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 15, 2009

Sponge Bob Square Butt?

Burger King made a commercial spoof of the song "I like big butts" to promote their new Sponge Bob kids meals. It is a bit of a controversy, though. They did it with Nickolodeon and both companies say that it is aimed at adults, and that they won't air it before 9PM.

I am not saying it is a horrible commercial, but I am surprised at Burger King. Kids meals are aimed at very young children, and this is not an appropriate song for them, not even their version. It is kind of funny for adults and teens, not the target market, though. We all know and are not at all fooled that the toys are marketed to children.


What do you think? Should they be pulling these ads?

14 people think my kids are qtpies:

Mrs. Stam said...

it should not be air that is for sure! soo bad! this is such a bad video!!

Canoearoo said...

wow i say ban it!

Joyful Noise said...

I don't like SBSP to begin with so I would never knowingly go to BK and get their toys - however, you are correct in stating that it is very inappropriate and should never even be aired! How can they justify advertising childrens' happy meal toys like this - horrible!!!

Grandma J said...

First of all, I don't go to Burger King...can't really stand their food or maybe I would, but I DID happen to see this ad the other night and thought it was disgusting! I hate hate hate that song (the original version)and have always said it is one song you will NEVER find in our karaoke books! It has NO place in a Burger King commercial either! Put it this way, if I did go to BK...I'd quit going!

Unknown said...

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this commercial aired (and I swear that it was before 9PM!). The square blocks in the dancer's pants were awful! I would have expected this kind of commercial from Carl's Jr who is notorious for its edgy commercials, but not from Burger King!

Kris said...

Well, having spent three years overseas where BK abused its on-base privileges to WAY overcharge (we're talking $5 for a kids' meal, upwards of $8 for a Whopper meal) patrons for icky food (which was usually cold anyway), we've got an unspoken ban on BK in our family....HOWEVER....

I find it not only offensive, but just downright disgusting that BK would stoop that low. I'm no SpongeBob fan in the first place, but wow.

Qtpies7 said...

This might be funny for Saturday night live, but it isn't funny as a comercial for kids meals when it has to be aired after 9pm. That doens't make sense at all.

I am not against humor, just the appropriateness of this for an actual ad.

Lisa said...

The burger king dude just CREEPS me out to start with!!

Cheryl Pitt said...

Is this what our country has come to? This is supposed to convince adults to buy happy meals for their children. Pathetic.

Austin said...

All you people saying this needs to be pulled need to stop being such conservative stuck up bigots.

Qtpies7 said...

Not liking boxes in a girl's pants doesn't qualify someone as a bigot.

Anonymous said...

Dear Author www.qtpies7.com !
Charming question

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Anonymous said...

Very enlightening and beneficial to someone whose been out of the circuit for a long time.

- Kris