ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 07, 2009

Time outs that work!

I have never been a fan of time outs, except for mommy, of course. I just didn't like having to keep putting a screaming child into time out over and over again. They never seemed to get it. Some of my children couldn't deal with the time thing, they need swift discipline that was over quickly. I gave up on time out with my first 5 children. But then I had Trinity and Sam.

I don't know why, but I just didn't want to spank for everything. I also have done some babysitting, so I needed to be consistent with disciplining all the children the same. But doing time out was not working.

Then I found the Time Out Pad and knew I needed to give it a try. When it arrived and I pulled it out of the box I had very curious children wondering what it was. The older kids had their doubts, and so did I, but Sam and Trinity were eager to see what it was and how it worked.


The Time Out Pad has a pressure sensitive base to sit on. I set the timer, which adjust by the standard one minute per year of age, and it is not easy to adjust, so the child can't change it themselves.
I then pushed the button to turn on the pad and set Samuel on it. The red light turned on. We encouraged him to stay sitting. Of course he got off of it, and an alarm went off, designed to alert parents of the child's disobedience. The alarm doesn't stop until the child gets back on, then it resumes the timer where it left off.


Halfway through a yellow light comes on. That alerts the child that they are getting closer. Soon a green light comes on and the pad starts playing a happy tune to let everyone know that the time is up and it is time to apologize.

Sam really loved the pad and wanted to keep playing with it. I was very worried that when we tried it out when he was in trouble that it wasn't going to work. But it did!

When Sam starts having a tantrum I take him aside and tell him that he needs to calm down and then set up the pad. Sam calms right down and sits through his time, and sometimes wants a second round! After the time is up I will ask him to say he is sorry and then we hug.

Wow, I have to tell you that I am a big fan! I still believe in spanking, but I can save that for biggies now. The Time Out Pad has really helped calm Samuel down, and even Trinity, who is 5, does very well with it. The only thing I disagree on is the warnings that are in the instructions. I don't believe that a child needs more than one warning. The first offense needs to be explained, but after that, and every time after that, a child needs to be disciplined. I believe delayed obedience is disobedience.

You can purchase The Time Out Pad for $34.99 from Keen Distribution. They have several other great products, too. One that I just love and wish I had had from child #1 is The Mommy Hook. It hooks onto the stroller or cart and holds your purse and diaper bag securely. It cannot be stolen or dropped. It is also great for holding your shopping bags, too. Because it is metal, it will not break under the weight.

1 people think my kids are qtpies:

Lisa said...

Now thats a wonderful idea. I like the fact the child can see the count down rather then waiting on a parent to say when time is up.

I am with you on the one warning issue, even at the tender age of 2 they can understand warnings (within reason of course) my kids usually get one warning and thats it. But if they are super excited like at a party or an event they do get several warnings as I know it can be hard to "listen" the first go roud.