ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

July 04, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #24


Thirteen Things about Lisa
13 things to make teen drivers safe
In light of the deaths of 3 teens and a young lady
this week, I am looking for ways to make
my kids more safe in the car.
Here is the news story.
1. Set an example for them. Don't speed, don't use your cell phone while driving, keep the music at a reasonable level. Things you want them to do.
2. Start them out with little privileges and gradually add them. No night driving at first, no friends in the car,etc.
3. Make them responsible for things. Have them pay for the vehicle, not to own it, but to want to take care of it. They should be paying their insurance, gas, some upkeep,etc, so they want to take care of things. Better grades means less insurance out of their pockets!
4. No passengers for 6 months. I, personally, did not do this. My first, and only so far, driver is really responsible, and we let him drive his siblings, and moved to friends one at a time. His siblings reported him to be very conscientious and safe.
5. No nighttime driving for at least 6 months. Teen's crash risk goes up at night. Start them with a curfew, 9:30 for a few months, then 10, etc.
6. Don't let them have their own car. If they use the family car parents still have control of the vehicle, making it easier to decide on the conditions of use: seat belt, cell phone, etc.
7. Teach them to be aware of their surroundings. They need to be looking beyond the car in front of them. They need time to react, at 16 they take longer than even an 18yo to respond.
8. Make them wear their seat belts, even when they are in the backseat! It needs to be a habit. I'm shocked at how many people don't wear them.
9. For the first year all driving should have a purpose, to work, to school, to a friend's house. No "cruising" with friends. Most accidents happen while joy riding.
10. Teach them to not drive while tired. Let them know its ok to call you and find an alternate way home.
11. No one wants to believe their teen will drink, much less drink and drive. But I have made sure that all my kids know that I would come get them without a fight if they find themselves in that situation. Its never worth the risk of driving! How about an Intoxalock? They can't start the car without a clean breath test.
12. Consider having a driving "contract" with your teen. Have written rules and the consequences to breaking them, with signatures! Make sure to put in there that parents make the final decision.
13. Consider getting DriveOK for the car to monitor speed and position. It sends messages to your cell if the car goes faster than allowed. There are several versions out there to choose from. If they don't go where they say they are, you'll know it! I know I'll be getting this for at least one of my drivers.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




15 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

This is a great and informative post. I have to admit to drinking and driving and that's not something I would encourage. During those instances, I did get home safe and sound but what if I didn't? I haven't done that for a long time and I don't have any intention of doing it again.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your recommendations. I just wish those services you mentioned are available here.

Happy Thursday!

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

Great list! I had a rule when I started driving that I wasn't allowed on the freeway - in California at 16 that was JUST fine with me. LOL

Jeremy Lowe said...

Great Post! Happy TT

Lyn said...

Hey, you won that free book give away that I mentioned at Bloggin' Outloud. Here's the URL - contact Cee Cee for the book. http://booksplurge.blogspot.com/2007/07/winner-is.html
Congrats! Lyn

JAM said...

My wife and I are both fuddy-duddys, neither drink or anything, and thankfully neither daughter does either, though we've made the promise you spoke of here. Can't be with them 24/7.

Also, any tickets they get for not wearing a belt or speeding is their responsibility.

Good stuff here today.

Lori said...

Great post...it just so happens my son just got his learners permit a few weeks ago!! Happy TT.

KarenW said...

Awesome! Our son is 16 and doesn't have his license yet. We are in no hurry for him to get it and neither is he.

Chelle Y. said...

Oh, I am NOT looking forward to the day when Brendan starts driving. Thankfully, I still have about nine more years to go!

www.chelleyoung.com

Anonymous said...

These are such great ideas. Thanks for sharing. Yay for all these devices that help keep our kids safe!

Penny said...

GREAT topic! Fortunately, some of those are already law in Wisconsin since we have a graduated driver license program. The GDL could be a little stricter here, but it is a start.

Happy TTing!

Anonymous said...

Happy TT and thanks for stopping by :)

A solid list!

Natalie said...

Those are great ideas/tips. My 11 yr old daughter learned at diabetes camp that she will need to check her blood sugar before getting behind the wheel - each time. That's 5 years away, but I'm glad she's learning now & that she will consider it to be a normal thing when that time gets here. :)

Happy TT!

Fiddledeedee said...

Excellent list! I'm hoping cars will be outlawed by the time #1 hits 16! I can't even imagine the nervous nelly I'll morph into!

byoc said...

Great list. I am so glad I'm done raising teens - I lucked out with you three, of course there is always the chance that we will still have the dear grandchildren when they turn 16 yikes!

alisonwonderland said...

my oldest has her learner's permit right now. good list for me to share with her!

happy TT!