ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 10, 2009

An escape artist

Have you ever just known what career your child was going to have before they even started school? Well, I know.
Samuel is going to be an escape artist. Or a track star. Or both.
The turd is lightening fast. I can barely catch him when he is running. I realize I am not exactly speedy, but he is TWO. And he has a knack for disappearing. Because he can go so fast. We have started leaving the house locked up, which is weird because I don't even lock it unless we are going away for the weekend. But when we are inside, it is locked up tight. Sam can get out the back door fast and disappear faster than that.

Tonight I was at church for Easter rehearsal and left the kids in charge of him. No one in particular, but mainly Devon and Cody, because Kaytlin wasn't down stairs and I had assigned her to cleaning the kitchen floor on her hands and knees. (that's another story)

Donnie didn't show up at church and neither of us had a cell, so I called home to see if he had checked in, he hadn't, but I got an interesting story. Sam had disappeared. The police found him in the playground right next to their parking lot. Meaning he crossed two streets, one of which is very dangerous. And the dog was with him. He wasn't wearing a coat or shoes or socks.

One police officer found Cody searching for Sam, and he had the dog in the backseat, so he took Cody and the dog home and told him to send Kaytlin for Sam. So Kaytlin goes to get him, and apparently she wasn't bawling so the police officer decided that she should be. She reamed Kaytlin a new butt hole and sent her on her way. Kaytlin wasn't even in charge and she told her she should be more responsible because she is 17 and "some babysitter you are!" When Kaytlin talked to us later she was just in tears for being treated so disrespectfully.

Ooooh! I was so happy that Sam was safe, and don't get me wrong, I was ticked that Sam got out, but that was uncalled for. A badge doesn't give you the right to abuse someone. So I made a stop to the station and had a little talk with the officer. She came over and apologized to Kaytlin. Kaytlin feels much better now because she was able to tell her how she feels after getting time to think about how it felt all that time.

I asked about how Sam was with going with the police and she said he went fine and was very good, but he wasn't dressed right so his skin was cold and they wrapped him in blankets. They asked him where his mom was and he said "Mommy gone." I was gone from the house! And they asked him his name and he pointed to his shirt and said "Hulk." Yes, that is his alter ego. He wasn't really happy to see her when she came by to apologize to Kaytlin, lol. But he did recognize her and he did say bye when she left.

What a crazy night! I can't imagine how scared the kids were when he was missing! Well, I can, since he did this recently to me, but they have the added fear of dealing with me. I am sort of glad I didn't have the fear until after it was over.

For the record, Kaytlin made sure the doors were locked, but someone took the trash out and either didn't lock the door behind them, or he snuck out while they were behind the garage. And Kaytlin was in the shower when it happened. So not her fault, but she got the brunt of the officer's wrath. One of them was nice, not saying it was OK, but respectful, one was pretty mean.

And Sam got a new stuffed kitty out of the deal. That may not have been a smart idea, he may want to keep going there, lol.

6 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anna said...

I am glad Sam was safe and that is funny that you went to the police station tonight instead of waiting until morning like you said you were going to. I am glad it all turned out ok. I am also glad you were able to get the police officer to come over and appologize to Kaytlin. That is the least they could have done. I think she deserved the stuffed kitty more then Sam. LOL

Carina said...

And so begins Sam's life of being brought back home by the cops...just kidding, Lisa!

Poor K! I would've been in tears too!

Lisa said...

Holy smokes thats scarey!!! I am glad we live on base and everyone kinda watches but we have had a few incidents where there was a small one wondering around alone and the fire department (Base fire and police) will come BANGING on your door asking if your missing someone...

Jackie said...

Wow..that is scary. I'm glad everyone is ok. I do feel bad for Kaytlin, and I am glad the officer appologized.

Joyful Noise said...

Sam is going to be on a first name basis with the officers...maybe that will help when he is older :)

Sassyfrazz said...

I am glad Sam was found, and that he was unharmed! Poor Kaytlin! I am glad the officer apologized. I would check those door locks at all times. :)