ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

May 31, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #18

Thirteen things I love about cloth diapering! My kids call me "sick addicted" to buying cloth, lol. The new cloth diapers are as easy as disposables to put on and take off.


1. This is a small part of my "stash" of diapers. The rest is packed for the next baby, or for Sam to grow into, or is hanging dry. Its just so fluffy and pretty!
2. It makes great headwear! And it makes for easier potty training later.
3. You can express yourself with them! Sam wears his motto on his bum.
4. You can show off your favorite super heroes! Save money on buying shorts in the summer, too!
5. They are just way too cute, you have to admit it!
6. And even with complete cuteness, total coolness, and absolutely fabulous embroidery, its very comfortable, too. And just as easy for Dad to change as a regular diaper. On and off with velcro tabs, no pins or covers.
7. It saves you money. I've spent soooo much money on diapers with 7 kids, I can't even begin to imagine! At least $1200 a kid, we use pull-ups for years and years, too, so I'm guessing more like $2200 per kid. I've spent less than $500 on Sam, and I can use all the diapers for more children and sell them when I'm done! HIGH resale value!
8. It is better for the environment. I am NOT an environmentalist at all. But the amount of resources torn down and destroyed to make a diaper, the bleach and chemicals used that makes the water no longer usable, the centuries in landfills, its just no match for the small amount of water used to wash cloth, which goes to a wastewater treatment plant.
9. The amount of water used to wash cloth diapers is about the same as a person flushing the toilette for their own personal use for the week. So if he was potty trained, it would be the same amount of water.
10. The toxins in disposables are linked to many problems, including asthma. It is deadly for animals to ingest the stuff in diapers, yet we let those chemicals sit next to our children's genitals, scary.
11. Sam is allergic to disposables, so we have no problems with cloth, its much better on his skin!
12. You are not allowed to put human waste in the garbage, you are supposed to dump the poop out of disposables before throwing them away. Its really easy with cloth, the new cloth just lets the p00 fall right off, no sticking, no swishing! Its easy!
13. Its cheap, its cute, its soft, its environmentally friendly, its actually easy and not much more work. But the best reason is that it brings out the most incredible nurturing feeling in my heart each time I change Sam, wash, hang, stuff and fold his diapers. How many people do you know LOVE to change diapers? I do!!!!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


28 people think my kids are qtpies:

Stacie said...

Right now I am a little burned on the cloth diapers - they squirm SO MUCH it is really hard to get them on. Any advice? Any types that are easier to get on a squirmy bucket? I am currently using Kissaluvs.

I cannot imagine the cost of paper diapering 7 kids. The mind reels. You can buy the cutest diapers in the world and STILL save tons of money.

I'm sure you hate thsi question, but are you planning on being done, or are you going to have as many as you have?

Special K ~Toni said...

I love the Superman one! I used disposable on both my boys- If you can check out my T13's!

Special K Family
Being An Air Force Wife

Carolan Ivey said...

I'm long past changing diapers, but this made me laugh out loud. :D

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

When my children were young and I was able to stay at home with them I used cloth diapers. I really liked it. They never had any yucky bottoms ... even when my Mother kept them while I worked she even used the cloth diapers. It wasn't until they went to daycare that they wore the disposable. I agree cloth diapers are the best by far... and the cheapest... ;-)

I totally admire you for raising 7 kids ... you must have the patience of Job ...

Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog. I'll be back!

Meggie Mom Fantastic said...

it's a good thing my 2 yr old wasn't around to see the spiderman cover, he'd be all over that and never want to use the potty! :)

Lori said...

Those are sooooooooo cute:)Hey, whatever makes you happy, right?

JAM said...

Good on ya, mate! for using cloth diapers. We used around 32,548 Pampers and Luv's on our girls, and from a guys point of view, give me the disposable. But they aren't way cool like your boy has. The cool factor of those you pictured is off the charts.

That is one cute little boy. Every picture you've shown, he's smiling. One day when he has teeth he'll be one of those people with a thousand-Watt smile, showing every tooth in his head.

Mercy's Maid said...

I've never seen cloth diapers like that. Environmentally, cloth diapering is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Very convincing! You almost make me want to use cloth diapers. :)

Unknown said...

thats a great list!

Peculiar Blogs said...

Great list!! We used to use them until Hubby said "no more!" I would still be using them, tho. I kept the all-in-ones up in the attic. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It almost worked with me, too... Well, not quite. I think I'll stick to the disposables! I have wonderful friends who use cloth diapers and they love 'em too :) More power to ya!!!

KarenW said...

When my first two were babies, I tried cloth diapers. But they were the old fashioned droopy ones with the smelly plastic pants- yuk! So I eventually started using the disposables. I am sure I would try the cute ones you have if I had any more babies.

The Zandi Zoo said...

Loved your list!!! We love cloth diapers too. I am busy getting our smaller-sized stash ready before our newest little guy joins us in August. FUN!!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get those diapers!? They're cute! And I agree with everything on your list:)

Kat said...

I LOVE the spider man one!!

Darla said...

Those are so CUTE!

If they'd had those when my kids were little... or if I hadn't been limited to washing laundry in cold water...

TeaMouse said...

And oooooh so soft for baby's bottom! I love the superman one, too cool!

Anonymous said...

We CD also. LOVE them (when I get my laundry done! Great way to pass the word on! Happy TT

Carina said...

Hmmm. Cloth. Washing. Poop.

Nope. Not doing it.

Very good try, though. =)

Your Sam is the sweetest little angel baby!

Julia said...

Goodness, those are very cute and interesting clothe diapers! I think the superman one is cute :)

Happy Thursday Thirteen!

Darla said...

Really? They get cleaner in cold water? Geez, the things you learn when it's too late to do anything about it. At least now I can pass on the info if/when my kids ever have kids. :)

Tink said...

Great list! I don't have kids, so there's not a lot I can say about diapers. :-)
My TT shares 13 things about the blue moon.

a villager said...

Those are the cutest diapers I've ever seen! Not that I've seen many diapers, but that's one stylish kid with his superhero pants on.

My T13 is about mysteries :)

Dane Bramage said...

Well I don't have diapers around my house anymore. And since no one asked and I know they were all thinking it, Do they make neat superhero cloth diapers in adult sizes? You know it won't be that far away for some of us.

Thanks for visiting my T13 #43 13 Bumper Stickers edition.

Molly said...

Those diapers are mighty cute. Of course, the baby pictures are cute too. You mention specifically the the diapers are good for the environment, but yet you claim not to be an environmentalist. Being an environmentslist is a good thing.

Qtpies7 said...

You guys are all so cute and funny!
Staci- We probably are not done having kids, we'll just let it happen as it happens.
Dixiechick- I most definately do not have the patience of Job, and my kids will let you know the truth of that statement!
JAM, you made me tear up over the sweet comments on my little Sam!
Maven, I get my dipes online, I have links to several places, but my favorite is the superman from mudpiebabies.com.
Darla, I wash in cold water, the sun takes all the stains out, it also sanitizes. I only use hot when I need to strip out build ups.
Dane, my 17yo beat you to it, he wants a diaper that cool, said he'd wear it if there was one! Of course he had a cape made for himself, so he's already strange.
mjd- there's nothing wrong with being an environmentalist, I just am not one, and its not the reason I cloth diaper, but I am glad that it has a helping impact over disposables. I want a clean world, I just am not caught up in it.

Gina said...

Oh, those are cute looking diapers. I like the Superbaby one ;-) the most!