ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

November 20, 2007

The Mist By Stephen King

Years ago my mom started me reading Stephen King books. That is probably where I get my love of being scared silly, and scaring the kids silly.
One night, while my infant brother slept in another room, my mom, my cousin Nicky and I were reading a Stephen King book aloud. I can't remember what it was even called, but there was a man walking in the mountains and a dog started playing with him and as he traveled up the mountain the dog started jumping in front of him and growling, trying to stop him. Eventually he started to leave and something happened and the dog jumped between him and whatever was going to attack him and was growling.
Right at that moment my mom's dog started growling something fierce! We started screaming! We were just petrified. No one else was home, and we were in a bedroom and couldn't get to a phone. We were so afraid of whatever would make a very happy dog growl so fiercely in the hallway that we were to scared to even go check on and grab the baby!
Nicky and I were just teenagers, but my mom should have run for the baby, wouldn't you think?
That is kind of what happens in The Mist by Stephen King. A mist surrounds a grocery store and it is too thick to even get to the cars, much less get anywhere. Eventually they figure out that something is in there and their true characters start to come out. It is almost more frightening in the store than out of it.
The trailer for The Mist scared me. I wasn't sure I could even handle watching the movie. Donnie thinks it looks great, so we'll have to go see it together, and I know he will leave with bruises and nail marks on his arms. I would NOT go see the movie with my mom, though. Sorry, mom, but I know you too well!

1 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to this horror movie. I loved the short story as a kid and it gave me a lot of nightmares. I hope this proves to be another successful Stephen King adaptation and not a replay of the Langoliers! The trailer definitely looks great.