ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

January 19, 2008

Kaytlin, Queen bee?

Go check out my poll about pants at The Good Stuff.

Kaytlin has been getting more and more vocal about how I favor Devon. I don't get it, but I can see how she could come up with SOME of her points. However, she has NO room to talk.

One day, long, long ago, I found out I was pregnant, and we were over-joyed to be having another child. Oh, how we hoped it would be a girl. Later in the pregnancy we went in for an ultrasound, well, many, many u/s's because of complication, but anyway, at that visit we were told we were having a girl! Oh the joy!
Then we got in the car to head home and it hit me. I was having a GIRL. Oh, my word, I was losing some of the tightness to the string I had Donnie wrapped around my little finger with!
It started that day. And it went down hill from there. Let me explain.

One day, as I was puking up a lung bring forth yet a third son for my husband to take over the world with, I wanted some fried chicken from Popeye's. That is the only thing that was going to go down that day. What did my loving husband say? "No, I'm not driving all the way to Ramstien for chicken." I was ticked, but what could I do? I couldn't drive because of the need for a puke bucket and all.
About fifteen minutes later Donnie said we were going to Popeye's. Oh my heart! He does love me! Or at least feel guilty. But guess what?
Kaytlin, his little princess had asked him for Popeye's chicken and he said "Sure, let's go!"

Now, to be fair, Donnie most certainly spoils me, and I get pretty much whatever I want from him. However, this is about Kaytlin. So, on with it!

Kaytlin was complaining Thursday night when I was raving to Devon about how awesome he did at the swim meet. She says that we give him whatever he wants and always believe him over her, etc. I told her she had no place to talk: 1 it wasn't true, and 2 she is the princess who gets everything her heart desires around here, just ask Daddy!
Oh, no, she doesn't believe that! Nope, she hasn't been able to be in sports for a couple of years because we wouldn't pay for sports AND $300 driver's ed one year and she didn't ask after that because she said it was too expensive and didn't think we could afford it.
So, she didn't ask, and didn't get, so it is us loving Devon more?
Ok, I say, ask your dad if you can be in sports. She does. Guess what he said? "What sport do you want to be in? Volleyball sounds great! Sure you can be in it!" Backfire! So she says she does NOT get everything she wants from him, what about the electric guitar she wants? Donnie says, chagrined "I was planning to buy it for you with our tax return." Yep.
Kaytlin, give it up!

Kaytlin is a great kid, and she doesn't ask for things, Donnie just wants to give her what she loves and desires. She does not take advantage of it at all. I would have, well, I DO take advantage of it, lol. She is also a very good girl, rarely in trouble for anything, and the most trouble she ever gets into is a bit of arguing with us or rolling her eyes, and that is 90% of the time during PMS. I think she got in trouble for disrespect one time.
Devon is always in trouble for disrespect, back talk, disobeying, hitting his siblings, not doing his chores, etc. Devon is the only kid in this house who brings me to swearing. Not even Donnie can bring me to that level of mad.
So, I do not see what she is saying as being true. We do handle things differently with him, yes, because he has an immunization injury and doesn't work exactly the same, therefore can't be treated the same. I can't expect him to make the honor roll and punish him if he doesn't make it when it is a struggle to pass the class. I can't not punish Kaytlin and Drew for not getting honor roll when they can get it just by finishing their homework, not even studying hard. They don't make it, they are fooling around.

What do you think? Do I favor Devon? Is Kaytlin the Queen Bee?

5 people think my kids are qtpies:

Sassyfrazz said...

Well, Yes, You favor Devon (you admit to it) and Yes, Donnie favors Kaitlyn (you admit to it).

Anonymous said...

(I'm not anonymous, my name's at the bottom, just not familiar with leaving comments on this blogging platform.)

Normally, I wouldn't remark on such a personal post, but you did ask for opinions, so I hope you'll take my comment in the prayerful manner in which it was written.

To me, it sounds like you feel like your daughter is a competitor for your husband's attentions, which is really sad to me. If you think your husband gives her more attention than he gives you, then that is something that you and he need to work out. Your daughter is a child and is not responsible for the behavior or attitudes of her father. Also, it seems like you had pre-conceived notions and expectations of what a daughter should be, and you may be disappointed that your daughter didn't live up to your hopes.

The saddest part of this post is that you seem to be gossiping about and backbiting your own daughter online. I am a mother too, and I know that it can be frustrating at times, but airing your family issues like this doesn't do good for her, you or your family. You called her Kaytlin the Queen Bee in the post I'm commenting on. In a prior post, you referred to her by saying, "According to Kaytlin. Who can't talk, Little Miss Daddy's Princess..". In Ephesians, children are commanded to obey their parents, but parents are commanded there to not provoke their children to wrath. I can't help but wonder how a child feels if their parent makes rude and sarcastic comments about them in public. whether its something said in front of their friends, or posted online for your friends to read.

Let's say you had a problem with your pastor's wife, or someone at church. Would you post about them in the same way or would you try to resolve it privately? If the shoe were on the other foot and you had wronged someone, how would you feel if they posted about you, describing you with terms that are less than edifying? In Matthew 18:15, we are told that the first step towards resolving a conflict is to approach the person privately. I believe that applies to almost any situation, regardless if the other person is your child, your mother, or your employer. Talking bad about a person to other people doesn't do anything to help anyone, in my opinion. I am not suggesting to post lies, I'm just saying that I don't think its proper to air your strong negative feelings about your daughter in such a public way.

I hope I don't sound like I am putting you down because that's not my intention. We are all sinners, and I'm sure I am far from perfect. I just wanted to share my feelings from my heart, and I don't want to sound mean or condescending.
God bless,
Dana
www.azdana.com

Jessie said...

Sounds like you can't help but pay extra attention to Devon - btw, I'm interested in the immunization injury...imms are a decision I've struggled with - but anyhow, someday Kaitlyn will realize it. My sisters and brother still call me the "chosen one" because I'm the oldest and seemed to "get more" - but it is all in fun now. We've grown up and looked back and realize different people require different attention - and sometimes it seemed like more! At least she has a dad who she can count on - not many do!
PS - GREAT Christmas picture!

Qtpies7 said...

Let's just say that you are off-base, Dana, and not go into that. Kaytlin is wonderful, and not at all spoiled. We joke around like that all the time, and she was kidding in the whole conversation, too. She reads my blog, I wrote it to play around with her, after she played around with me about blogging it. Her friends read my blog, too. I would never hurt her like that if I actually felt like that.
It was all in fun, and I know my friends know that. Otherwise they don't know me well.

Carina said...

I wrote an essay in 3rd grade about how to get stuff out of Daddy when we were at the store. (It was for parent's night, so all the parents walked by and read it.)

What's funny is, it still works to this day.