ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

January 17, 2007

Works for me Wednesday- Ziploc Omelettes



This works great!!! Good for when all your family is together ! The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet!!!
Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.
Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.
Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.
Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.
Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.
Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.
Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready.? And in 13 minutes, you got a nice omelette for a quick breakfast!!!
Good for camping too!

21 people think my kids are qtpies:

Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

what an AWESOME idea. love it. now if I could just get my kids to eat eggs... this might be the way

Jane said...

What a cool party trick! I can't wait to try this. Hubs will be so impressed!

Anonymous said...

I want to make sure I am getting the second part right. You put the omelette ingredients in a sealed ziploc bag and put it in boiling water for 13 minutes? Do you have to bring it up to a boil or just set the timer for 13 minutes and run to put your makeup on? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

would this work in the microwave too?

elizabeth said...

Well how cool is this? I can't wait to try it now! :)

Qtpies7 said...

Lindsay, I just got this idea in an email from a friend, and thought how perfect it would be for wfmw, so I haven't actually tried it. But I think what you are asking is that yes, you bring the water to a boil, then drop the ziploc bag in there and set the timer for 13 minutes. I don't think you bring the water back to a boil and then start it.

Qtpies7 said...

Singinole, I don't recommend trying it in the microwave. I have no idea if it would work or not, although I know you can microwave eggs, but I think the whole sealed bag thing could be a disaster waiting to happen, hehe. Let me know if you try it that way. But, I recently learned that microwaved water KILLS plants, and animals won't drink it, so I'm trying to convince my dh to get rid of the nuker!

Amanda Bindel said...

Neat idea!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

That ROCKS! Printing it out now for a try next Sunday morning while we're all rushing around to eat breakfast before church! LOL Thanks!

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

What a super great idea! I was just thinking that with 7 children you probably have a lot of great idea's to share. Thanks!

meg said...

We did this at work for a breakfast potluck & it turned out great!
I wandered over from Ann's (Mama's Midlife) & I'll have to spend some time exploring. Drop by either of the gardens if you feel so inclined- the gate is always open.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, I just might do this tomarrow. I like the idea of prepping ahead of time.

Carol said...

Seriously? Woah!

I'm definitely trying this.

K Quinn said...

Oh this is amazing! I want to try this tomorrow. LOL! This is great! Thank you! Fabuloso post!

alisonwonderland said...

i am going to have to try this! thanks for passing the idea along!

Kelley said...

This would be great to try at sleepovers. And...this way everyone's eggs are ready at the same time, instead of Mom being stuck in the kitchen playing short-order cook all morning.

Staci said...

What a great idea. Can't wait to try it! When you say it is okay to make them the night before... do you mean crack the eggs into the ziplocs the night before? Just want to make sure it would be okay to do that...

Anonymous said...

DO NOT TRY THIS! ZIPLOC BAGS ARE NOT CREATED TO WITHSTAND BOILING WATER. BY BOILING THE ZIPLOC BAGS, the PLASTIC BAG MIGHT MELT IF YOU HEAT IT UP TOO MUCH! THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT HEATING PLASTIC BAGS CAN CAUSE A RELEASE OF TOXINS IN YOUR FOOD DUE TO THE BREAKDOWN OF THE BAG!

ZIPLOC'S OWN SITE HAS WARNED USERS FROM DOING SO AND HAS STATED THEIR BAGS ARE NOT TO BE BOILED!

SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE READING THIS BLOG AND FOLLOWING THE AUTHORS ADVICE! DON'T DO IT!

Anonymous said...

you should remove this post, so people won't be making toxic food for their kids.

Qtpies7 said...

Why would someone from Bangkok care about tracking down boiled ziploc posts on google to tell people not to do it?
Both anonymous posts here are from the same person in Thailand.

I don't mind leaving the information about the dangers of toxicity, however, your comments are out of line.
I am not some villian out to make my "followers" poison themselves.
I don't normally leave comments like this up because there is no way to discuss things with people who are anonymous.

Please have the guts to leave contact information if you are going to leave comments on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Without a doubt this is a BAD idea. The toxins from the plastic will leech out into your food. Anonymous or not, your previous poster is pointing this out properly.