ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 25, 2007

My wonderful life, and all the junk that comes with it.

So yesterday Devon comes home from track practice and looks a bit worse for wear. He crashes and sleeps the evening away. Its apparent he is not well, but I'm not sure if its a combination of little sleep at Districts last weekend and track meets and track practice, or if he is sick. But as the night went on he became more and more red in the face and meaner and meaner to anyone making noise.
I finally had to send him to bed. But I got to thinking that he must have a fever with that red face, so I broke open my brand new underarm thermometer and head up to his room to take his temp. 104.8 Now way. So I grab him some advil and ice water and take his temp again. 105.5 WHAT??? I decide that the new thermometer MUST be wacko. So I head off to find the oral thermometer. By this time Devon has had the ice water and advil in him close to 10 minutes. His oral temp is 103.8. So I make a call to the nurse line and find that the combination of very high fever and a headache is bad news and they want him to be seen in the ER. Yikes! Devon really did not want to go, so I waited to see if he was going to come down in temp. He did, all the way down to 103.3.
Yep, trip to the ER is in order.
As I'm getting ready to go Hope-Anne points to my wall next to my downstairs bathroom door. There is a HUGE paint bubble full of liquid! The toilette upstairs is not steady, and apparently is leaking! I left Donnie to take care of that stinky job, you betcha I did!

So we head off the the ER and get settled in. They did two blood cultures, which they wanted from two different draw sites at least 1/2 an hour apart. And then an IV, chest x-ray and the kicker: a spinal tap.

Devon was around 3500 teens over the weekend, and his fever wasn't a baby, paired with a headache, they were very concerned.

He is still very high today, 103.1. But all the tests came back looking like he has a virus, but should be fine. If he doesn't break the fever tonight, I'll be taking him in to the doc tomorrow for a throat culture, which they did NOT run.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

The Estrogen Files said...

All those tests and NO throat culture?! I'm so sorry he is sick and hope he's on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Devon.

yofed said...

I hope he is better today!

Keri said...

high fevers can be so scary. My Stinkerbell can run a fever when there is nothing wrong with her. Last week, it was 103.3 and nothing else was wrong except being VERY TIRED!

Advil + sleep = no fever and getting to go to a birthday party.

Really glad it was just a virus.