ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

July 21, 2008

Snap!

This past weekend Drew, Kaytlin and Devon went to Sonshine Fest in Wilmar, MN. Without me. Or Donnie. Just them and friends. Wow! That was a tough thing to do for us parents. (we are a couple hours away, but my dad is close to Wilmar, and we did know some adult friends who were there, so if they did need anything someone was there.)
Technically, Drew is an adult now, and so were most of his friends, but when do we actually start thinking of our kids as adults? I am not there yet, but I am trying.

At Sonshine the kids learned a new game in addition to the many, many, many amazing concerts that they were able to go to. It is called Snap. I'm not sure I get the reason it is fun, but the kids thought it was "Amazing!" and "Awesome!"

The kids link together using inner tubes between them and the run around trying to make someone bump into a trashcan.

I guess that is it. If they let go of the tubes or touch the can they lose. Doesn't sound too exciting to me, though. They had a wild time playing it and Devon even injured himself, which is a mark of a game well-played if you are a guy.

Drew's friends took our teasing of Devon to a whole new level, too. We tease Devon about Hannah Montana because we've caught him watching it alone several times. Even watching our one DVD of her by himself. Well, his friends bought him a Hannah Montana sticker and one of them even bought him a Hannah Montana pillow. Which he slept on because he is a great sport. Or he really does have a crush on her.

Have you ever had to let go of your mommy-ness and let your teens do things that you felt apprehensive about?
I worry about things out of my control, anyway, and hounded them for weeks before hand about never being alone, always having a buddy, etc.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

michelle said...

I get that way anytime I'm not monitoring my kids. Just sending them to camp is a huge deal for me sometimes. My most recent challenge has been to allow my son to bike to the next town down back (but slightly busy) roads to visit his friend. He will be old enough to drive a car in less than a year, yet I am nervous about having him out on the streets on his bike. I think I am going to need a sedative to get through the next 10 years sanely.

Michelle

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I love new visitors even though Batman's Christian Bale is not for you!! That is fine!! I did like IRONMAN a lot too but really enjoyed Batman.
You do have a quiver full. We only had 3 kids and now have 7 grands..2 boys and 5 girls!! They are getting so grown already.
I know how you feel about letting your almost grown kids leave. It is hard. Wait till your empty nest comes..WHOA!! Not fun for me..
Sandy

Sassyfrazz said...

I am glad they had a fun time...sounds like the weather cooperated for them, too. Did they see my cousin's band perhaps?

I am not in the teen years, yet...but nearing close.

That is great that Devon is a good sport...hey, Hannah Montana isn't all that bad, ~lol

Carina said...

You should talk to my mom.

She was upset at my brother last weekend because he went to the city to a friend's house and didn't call when she thought he should. (He was supposed to be there for the weekend and stayed 'til Thursday. He called pretty much every day to say he'd be coming home "tomorrow".

Oh yeah, he's 22.