ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 06, 2008

All Fired Up!

So, I went to the local grocery store tonight and did some shopping. They always have great buy one get one free coupons and other great deals. This week they had a buy one get one free General Mills cereal coupon and a buy two Kemps milk and get 1lb bananas, 1 bottle of Hersey's syrup, AND 1 container of Kemps ice cream ALL for free! Amazing, right?!

Except that when I looked at my receipt because I didn't see an itemized coupon listing at the bottom of the paper, I noticed that I was charged $.01 for each "free" item. They would ring it up, then remove the entire price with the coupon, then several items later they would charge me one penny for the "free" item. And it listed it as a price for the FREE item.

Isn't that theft? Fraud?

Sure, how many people will even notice it? And if someone does notice it, are they going to bother complaining about $.04? Really? What are the odds of getting caught? Hundreds of people using the coupons, and our branch charging for them.........
It wasn't the $.04, it was the PRINCIPLE. It is the LAW. They cannot do that, it is absolute outright theft. Like I've been mugged.
Would I file a police report if someone mugged me and all I had was $.04? You bet I would!

So, I went in to point out the theft to them. The teller was agast, she bought the same deal as I did! She photocopied it, even. I made her call a manager up. He didn't know what the deal was. He called a check out person up, and she said that it was doing that to everyone, not just me, but that she wasn't about to take a penny off the total, it was too much work. (umm, so you KNOW that your job is stealing for people, and you are a willing accomplice?)

They didn't even OFFER to give me the $.o4 back. The did take my name down for the assistant manager tomorrow. But he won't be enough for me to be satisfied. Not even the manager, most likely. I am taking this to the attorney general. (isn't that who should be told?)

Think they will offer me hush money? LOL What would be enough? A year's worth of groceries? LOL Just kidding!

Would it be crazy to inform the paper, too? This would be HUGE in our dinky town, lol. Maybe I'll do that, and get famous. My kids think I am going to sue them and then get famous like the McDonald's suit over hot coffee. "Woman sues Grocery chain over $.04!" Yep, that's me. And you all knew me before I was famous.

13 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

Go to FOX News - Channel 9...they like stories like this...

yofed said...

Yeah, involve the journalists in that! Here, when you get something free, it is free, not 0.01$!!!

Jessica said...

Go girl! I would definitely make a "fuss" about this!

Sassyfrazz said...

Wow~ that is an amazing concept and good eye, Lisa! Wow!! I am astonished! Yes, contact the paper, and the news. Yes, it is only pennies, but I fully agree..it is theft simple as that! Free should be free~ as advertised! Great job at catching that!!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! But, the funny thing is that I totally would do the same thing... especially if they blew me off like that. You summed it up, it's not the money, it's the principle. Why not just say it was a penny for stuff? That would still be a great deal. And the check-out person? Geesh!

Kat said...

This just proves my point that big business stinks! Sure its no swaet for the store cause its a few cents. That makes me so mad. Its still a great deal but its also telling a lie. They should just say a penny each people would still buy it.

Unknown said...

I agree with you...it's the PRINCIPLE!!!! I don't think I would have noticed that, but it is such a sneaky, underhanded thing for the store to do. They probably make quite a nice little sum cheating people into paying 4 extra cents per transaction. Have you ever seen "Office Space"?

Unknown said...

Hey, it's only 4 cents for you, but after a thousand people go through the store in a day (not too unlikely, depending on the size of the store) that's $40! I could do a lot with $40.
I just found your blog, and I appreciate another christian mama parenting her children so closely. I co-sleep, babywear, and cloth diaper, too, as well as extended nurse, and tandem nurse.

Michele said...

You go girl. They're probably doing it in our town and no one ever noticed!

Hugz,
Michele

Lisa said...

Hey a penny is a penny...just as free is free, go back and get your money.

Michelle said...

I read this and thought, hmm...sounds like the deal I got at the store on Saturday. I found my receipt and sure enough, I paid $.04 for my free items too.

A chain pizza place in town ALWAYS overcharges on their specials/coupons. I have learned to take a calculator in to prove to them that they are always wrong. It's usually only about $.25 to $.75 difference, but if you add that up over the day with all the people bringing in their coupons it most certainly adds up for them. They always tell me it was a computer error. If I didn't like the pizza so much, I'd boycott them!

Wendy said...

What cheats. I've had similar experiences with Walgreens too. You REALLY have to watch them and half the time they won't honor the rebates that you send in. Kudos to you for keeping them honest.

Rosie : ) said...

Wow, this sounds very mean on their part. I think the principle of the matter is true. Free is FREE! :) Or else, it is false advertizing, right?