ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

November 20, 2008

First Drew Sighting!

Donnie, Sam, Trinity and I got up bright and early this morning, even though we didn't get to the hotel until 1:30am. We were excited to get to go see Drew.

The first part of our agenda was to go to a briefing. It was slightly amusing, they tried to make it funny. But mostly is was just too much information that I just can't even remember.

Then we got to go stand along the side of a road so we could wait and wait and wait until the recruits ran by, twice. They weren't allowed to even let their eyes wander the crowds, so they didn't get to see us, but we were able to search out the people with the color shirt our kids were wearing for a possible sighting of our kid. Not easy. Not even for a mother. Most of us did not recognize our child and he/she RAN by us. Donnie did see Drew the second time by.

I cried and cried through the morning. Just overwhelmed with emotions. (and maybe some sleep deprivation from the drive, or maybe trauma from the hours and hours of cleaning up puke?)
I am just so proud of Drew! He is no longer a child. He is a grown up who can, and is, supporting himself. He is serving our country. And yet, he is my baby. The little boy who colored himself blue to become a Smurf. My little boy who wanted to save the rain forest so the women in his life would never go without chocolate. The boy who wanted to grow up and marry me and take care of me. My teenager who gave me years of grief with back talk and dating and sneaking behind my back, but then would kiss the top of my head and tell me he loves me. That little boy is still there, but now in a man's body.

I am overwhelmed.

And soon, just 3 short hours from now, I will be able to hug him.

But I will not wear make-up this afternoon. Especially black stuff.

6 people think my kids are qtpies:

Kris said...

Aww....you're making me all weepy too, knock it off!

Enjoy!

Lisa said...

Aww honey give him hugs from all of us!!

Grandma J said...

Cool. I had to watch the tape of Jessica's grad ceremony a couple of times before I could even find her on it. Of course, with a tape, you can back it up and look again!
Say hi to Drew from all of us. I never did get that card sent to him!

Anonymous said...

Updates please. How did it go with Drew when he saw you? Sounds like an exciting road trip. Great stories of Drew growing up. Need those updates.

Chad

Kris said...

PICTURES?????????

Joyful Noise said...

Looks like you have requests for what to blog...I agree with both of them. I am sure that you are trying to spend as much time with Drew and catching up on your sleep for the ride home.

I am so glad that you went. Say "Hi" to him from us and enjoy your time with him. We will start praying now that your trip home goes better!!