ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

March 05, 2009

Sweeter by nature

It is getting harder and harder to cook food with all the diet restrictions that are happening. Diabetes, hypoglycemia, obesity, gluten intolerance. When you substitute ingredients to make beloved recipes eatable by everyone, you lose taste. I can't stand baked goods made with artificial sweeteners.
My mother in law is a diabetic, and there are 2 hypoglycemics in my house. Sugar is not our friend. Not to our blood, and not to our waist.

I got the opportunity to try out an all natural product through Fuel My Blog that promises to be "sweeter by nature" and taste like sugar, guaranteed. I worry about taste, because why else would you eat it?
Steviva makes their products from the Stevia plant. The benefits of Stevia are that it is 100% natural, 200-300 times sweeter than sugar so you use less, calorie-free (woohoo!), prevents cavities (no way!), does not trigger a rise in blood sugar, increases energy and aides digestion by stimulating the pancreas, and it does not feed yeast in your body.
Wow, huh? But how does it taste? I tried the Fructevia packets in my coffee. I did not enjoy it at all. I always use sugar and this did not taste like sugar.

In cooking and baking the taste is different. It isn't noticeable that it isn't sugar. It is a bit different, but it isn't so different that you would know it was not sugar. Plus it is healthier, so it makes it even better.
I was very happy that I could make a guilt-free treat for me that I could still serve to my diabetic family, while not worrying about my children eating artificial sweeteners, or getting hyper from too much sugar.
You can order Steviva in larger bottles instead of packets. I think the price is a bit steep, however, you use so little that it will last FOREVER. I am not fond of it, but my mother in law didn't mind it, she always has to use artificial sweeteners anyway, and this was a step up.
Steviva only uses organic stevia leaves and clean, pure water for the extraction process. Their commitment to the environment is commendable. They have a mission to care for the world and give back to society.
If you need to cut back on the sugar, but do not want to poison your body with unnatural, artificial sweeteners, Steviva is a great option for you to look into. Check out their recipe pages for some great idea, too. How about Sugar Free - Low Carb- Chocolate Mousse?

0 people think my kids are qtpies: