ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

October 14, 2009

Sometimes, you just gotta do it

I can't even bring myself to remember my teen years. You need friends, but sometimes friends are not friends, and are just plain stupid. I had to tell to save a friend one time. It was hard! But I had to do it.
What do teens do now when their friends are on drugs, or seriously depressed and suicidal, or saying threatening things about others? Saying something can send someone over the deep edge and get you killed! As if being ostracized for being a narc wouldn't be bad enough?

It has to be truly challenging being a teen today. It is really tough as a parent to stay connected to your teen, too, but you have to try. And you have to encourage them to do the right thing, even if it is the hard thing. But it isn't easy being the parent of a teen, either. How do you encourage them to do what they know is right when they see all the crazy teens going on killing sprees? You know, and they know, that it could cost them more than friendships. Even in a small town.

But are you being a true friend by letting them go down a path that is going to hurt them or get them killed? Doesn't a true friend risk it all to help you?

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Mrs. Stam said...

So true! My 6 years younger sister had a very different high school experience then I did (more drugs, suicide sex violence etc..)then I ever did see.

I fear that it's just going to get worst with time. We live in a sad sad time!

Unknown said...

You could not PAY me to relive my teenage years! The only thing good about them is that I met my husband, married him, and had our first baby! :)

Lisa said...

I tried to connect to Maveric my almost teen, we went to the Great Amercia haunt, it was scarey we had a great time, but we both learned we are bigger chickens then we let on.