ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

December 23, 2009

Not a creature was stirring, except me

I have frequent insomnia. I don't really have a way to deal with it, so I just have it. I don't want to take pills for the rest of my life. I gave up caffeine, that helps a little, but I still have nights that I am up until 2, or later. I found that drinking a flavored beer or wine cooler at night helps me not only to sleep earlier, but also helps me with pain I have when I am laying down so I don't need narcotics to sleep through the pain. But me having a drink every night seems to disturb everyone in the family, even though it isn't affecting my behavior. (they say it is because their parents just don't drink, lol) So, I don't do that anymore.
So, right now I have no narcotics for the pain (serious pain only when I am laying down, and you need to do that to sleep) and I have insomnia, so I don't get a lot of sleep.

Last night I was up really late, or early if you want to look at the time I went to bed, 6am. lol I was watching TV to keep myself from being totally miserable watching the walls in the dark. Do you know what commercials come on at 3am? Sleep aid commercials. The irony, right? LOL Smart advertising, really. Not that I will ever take sleep aids, I refuse. But for desperate people that need to get up early in the morning and go to work, genius marketing!

So I'm watching the Ambien commercial and what do they say?

Ambien side effects:
Diarrhea
; dizziness; drowsiness (including daytime drowsiness); "drugged"
feeling; dry mouth; headache; nausea; nose or throat irritation; sluggishness; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions; abnormal thinking; behavior changes; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty swallowing or breathing; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory problems (eg, memory loss); mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anxiety, depression); severe dizziness; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.


I don't want to have chronic diarrhea and nausea, dizziness, abnormal thinking or SUICIDAL thoughts. Who would trade in lack of sleep for possibility of wanting to kill yourself? Even the mild effects are not worth it. Who wants to feel like they have the flu all the time?

So, I am going to just stay awake several nights a week. And now my facebook friends all know why I am posting on facebook at 2 am.

5 people think my kids are qtpies:

Pam said...

Have you tried taking an antihistamine? They are not habit forming and it may just help you to doze off and get to sleep. My daughter who is a doctor uses benadryl when she has to sleep after an all night shift.

Mrs. Stam said...

hope you feel better soon

Joyful Noise said...

So what kind of a creature are you??? I don't think your friends would ever consider it weird for you to be on facebook at that hour. I do agree with you on the side effects of the drugs - they are worse than the actual problem!

Shell said...

The antihistamine will work although, I think you have a unlying problem you should consider having checked. Have you considered having your hormones checked? After having a tubal pregnancy and all, I would consider asking my OB to please check me out. Most OB's idea of normal hormones isn't always normal. Sometime's the levels are more off then they say...do have your OB interprete them for you if you are checked.

Hope things work out for you and you soon get a good nights sleep.

From a mom of many to another,
Shell

Unknown said...

Tracy used to take Ambien, and I remember quite well the memory loss, hallucinations, mood changes, and abnormal thinking and behavior changes. Not fun at all.