ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

March 05, 2010

New name for a new look?

Or a new look for a new name?

Hope-Anne loves her name, but gets very frustrated with the mistakes people make over it. I'm not sure why it is so hard to get it, but people frequently hear "Hoban" when we say it, or shorten it to Hope when they read it. Even after being corrected they continue with the wrong name. There have been teachers that just could NOT get her name right.

So she has decided to switch to her much more normal sounding middle name. Nicole. Because Hope doesn't fit her and neither does Anne, I suggested she try her middle name. I think it fits her well.

I am surprised at the amount of people who refuse to call her Nicole, including her father, lol. (OK he doesn't surprise me, he is stubborn and hates change) Many of my friends have totally jumped in and are better at remembering the change than I am.

The name change comes at a great time in Nicole's life. She is about to not only get braces, but her face is going to change. She has to have her upper jaw expanded. She will have a device put in her upper mouth that actually separates her upper jaw and has to wear it until new bone grows in to make the wider mouth permanent.

It isn't supposed to be painful, but I told her to milk it, because it sounds bad! Aren't I a good mom?

So, her face shape with change, she will get braces to make her teeth straight and gap-free, and she has a whole new name!

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Mrs. Stam said...

I had the device for my mouth and is wasn't that bad (hurt the first day or two) then you kinda get use to it. (I could not take mine off cause of a defect in the way they made it so it was glued to my teeth) withing 3 weeks my mouth was wide as it should have been after 6 month of the treatment :-) and braces are a big annoying at first (the rubbing against the lips gets them irritated) but beside the inconvenience and pain they are worth it :-) I love Hope-Anne and Nicole both beautiful name

Unknown said...

I think Nicole fits Hope-Anne. She's so sweet and cute. It may take me a bit, I've a hard time with names anyway, but I'll work to remember to call her Nicole.
Jeffrey had the expander. He didn't complain very much about it, but it definitely affected his speech. We'll be praying she expands quickly. :-)
Daisy

Joyful Noise said...

I am trying to remember Nicole...love the name and yes think it fits her but hard to get used to...after calling her Hope-Anne the first time I usually remember.