ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

December 20, 2006

Devon, the fish.


I have one goal with swimming and my kids; that they know enough not to drown. So I bring them to lessons so they will know enough not to drown, and then we swim in the summer a bunch. So typically my kids have a couple of classes. Devon is no exception. He's been to enough lessons to not drown, but not to learn strokes. He does love to swim, though.
So when he joined the swim team at school, I thought it was weird, but figured he'd drop out like all the other sports that bore him. But he didn't. He got up at 6am for swim practice every day. This is the weirdest part of all. Devon does not get up before noon without several prods, sometimes a glass of cold water on the ol' head.
Then we started hearing things. People started talking. He's good. He's a natural. He's a born swimmer.
WHAT????? No, really, WHAT????
He's in 8th grade. He's swimming against Varsity. And beating some of them. His coach even said he'll probably be on Varsity by the end of the season.
We had to see this. He is good! I cried. Oh, yes I did. I cried.
Last nights meet he won second in the JV 100 meter freestyle! One meet his relay team came in third against Varsity, but they were disqualified. I was mad, they were WAY ahead of the 4th place team. I guess it was a false start or someone not touching the wall with both hands or something. I haven't figured out how it all works yet. But I'm going to home meets and screaming his name with the rest of the parents!
Devon doesn't talk much. He never just tells us what he's thinking. He just doesn't work that way. Its almost painful to get anything out of his mouth. But he fessed up that he has always dreamed of being an olymic swimmer! Whoa! So now he's working on those grades,and brought home his first report card ever with no F's. You have to have a 2.o to play sports, and he has a 2.o6, lol. He was so excited! Now we have leverage to get the homework done and the chores done. Its a great life over here.

1 people think my kids are qtpies:

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

Way to go Devon!!! I have a swimmer too that was totally unexpected. But it is so great when they find something that they love so much they are willing to work on grades and whatever else !

Thanks for dropping by my site Terrific Teens!