ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

February 25, 2007

Sunday Festivus #5

*this is a rant, not a logical, reasonable, well-thought out post. I realize and agree with many copyright laws.


Sunday Festivus is something started by Pam at Terrific Teens to gripe about yourself or something other than other people.

Well, Thursday Thirteens are no more. I really enjoyed doing them and reading them, and my mom really enjoyed reading mine. We are both saddened. I really don't understand how a person can make and idea, share it all over the world via internet, then say "Its mine and you can't play with it any more." And thats all legal because of a patent. Its already marketed, its out there, and it had no "cost" but basically people already bought it and used it, now they have to stop using it?
If I bought a camera, but then the maker decided he didn't want to make them anymore, he can't call everyone and say he has a patent on it and you have to quit using it now. Not only can you not use it anymore, you can't use anything that goes along the idea of my camera's usage, either, because it was my idea.
Doesn't the "owner" of TT know that I have to amuse my mom on Thursdays? Now I have to do something amusing and not call it Thursday or Thirteen or anything that might be an idea to do on a blog, because blog ideas are patented, you know.
Well, I guess this turned into a Festivus not about me, oops. I have plenty of that, too, though. I can't potty train Trinity. I am going to have to "tomato stake" her to me until its done. But that means wayyyyy less computer time. And that is a good thing, but I don't wanna quit. (I don't want to have to wake up a 3yo at 11pm to go wash the wads of poop off of her hands that she was using as playdoh in her bed to amuse herself before falling asleep, either.)
I'll blog later on our snow fall. Lets just say that it took the full weight of my 275lb husband to push the door open this morning. And then the kids left the snow shovel out DURING A SNOWSTORM. Yes, they did. And if my dad read my blog, which I'm sure he doesn't, well, I guess we got whats coming to us, huh? Whatever! (my kids did this to him 5 years ago in March, hehe)
Only my husband is going to church today. It was enough fun digging out the one car. And the van doesn't work anyways. The other car needs tabs, and you can barely even see it right now through the snow. So Donnie would have to drive back and forth in a couple of trips to bring us all, but he has to get the sermon on that projector thingy and get the run the words for the worship practice this morning. He was already an hour late with trying to shovel the car out without a shovel. (the snowblower isn't running, we didn't prep it for the winter, yeah, I know, we live in Minnesota, hehe, we've just really never needed it in the last 5 years.)
I want to bring the kids out shopping today, but I'm not driving anywhere! Its supposed to keep snowing off and on all week. I may go if it doesn't snow this afternoon. Otherwise, we'll do some internet shopping. Its hard to manage this, because I can only use the car on Sundays and Tuesdays. The Geo can be driven when we get tabs on Monday, but we won't leave town with it, we don't know if it will overheat. We'll have to get that fixed soon, I'm applying for a job, and I will need it if I do work.

9 people think my kids are qtpies:

Janean said...

I totally agree about TT..I was really bummed as well. But did you see that they got it back up? "Under new management" :D !!
Very cool!

Have an awesome week!

Nikki said...

I didn't even know there was an official "Thursday Thirteen" until a couple weeks ago. I used to blog "Thirteen Thoughts for Thursday" that I thought up by myself because all three words start with "th" and gosh, I didn't think to be greedy and patent it. When I did discover "Thursday Thirteen" I read their blog and thought they were ridiculous with all their rules. I didn't want a huge list of blogs down the side of my blog that I wasn't familiar with and may not necessarily approve of just because I wanted to link back to their blog (one of their many rules). So my hubby just informed me that that's how it is. I can't even do my own original "Thirteen Thoughts for Thursday" anymore because of their patent. But I'll keep thinking. I'll show them that I can still have thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Haha! You said all the things I was thinking but didn't have the guts to blog about. I've been ranting to my husband and sister about this for days and days.

I agree with what Nikki too!

Jen said...

I usually only get to the 13 once a month or so, so I hadn't seen the news.

As I recall, Leanne shut down the 13 once before, and brought it back.

Leanne said...

I'm so sorry you feel this way about the Thirteen. I use McDonald's as an example, if you have McDonald's and everyone goes to them, and they go out of business - you're not going to be seeing another McDonald's pop up under new ownership unless someone buys the rights to the name. You can always go to Burger King though, it's not the same, but it's still a burger.

Copyrights and intellectual property rights protect performing and visual arts and have been for years. It's just one of those things.

I do hope there are no hard feelings, it was just a huge undertaking every week and I had to choose where to focus my attention. It is under new ownership, and will continue on and I am looking forward to the time I'll be able to participate again and actually have a chance to visit again. If you have questions or whatever, I'd be happy to address them.

Best-
Leanne

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

I totally agree too! I think its sad that if someone else comes up with a name for a blog, then I am not permitted too use that name ever! What if parents did that with their kids names? Now I agree with Leanne that that if the same "exact name, format, and method" was used it would be rude. But I do not think "Thirteen Thoughts on Thursday" would be a copyright problem. I understand that if you change one ingredient in a recipe you can claim the recipe as your own. How is a blog any different? I do not want to take away from the hard work that Leanne has done, but TT was so successful, why worry about other blogs? Medications have patents and cannot be copied for a certain amount of time, however after that time is up all the generic brands are released. Some people use them but a vast majority want the REAL THING. If your blog/medicine/recipe is THAT great then people wont WANT the copy. And as far as McDonalds goes. Other burger joints do pop up all over the place. They cannot use the name "McDonalds" but they still sell burgers and fries.

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

By the way I loved your Festivus post! I am sorry you are having so many trials these days. However it is a great chance to witness to your kids. They notice that Mom and Dad are praying and relying on God and how God answers those prayers. And speaking of prayer. When mine were little I prayed about whether I should go back to work or not, and that afternoon my hubby got a job that paid more and I was able to stay home with the kids! Just a thought....

Come on over and leave a link to your Festivus Post. I have the linkies working so it is really easy. Although definitely not a requirement. hehehe

Kat said...

oh man I am always out of the loop! Ok so is there a TT or not? I'm so confused! I never joined any group, I thought it was just a "blog started thing" free to all.

Anonymous said...

It's also about the "community" thing... Blogs start these memes so that everybody gets to know everybody else... hence the requests to link back to the original site + the whole "ownership" thing... if I came up with the idea, and people acknowledge that they got the idea from me, I want my blog to get the advantage of the readership. Since it's a free thing, I doubt anybody would persue liability for it, since costs would outweigh gains... but some feathers would be ruffled, and I kind of understand that cause if you get a good idea, you want everybody to know it was your idea, or at least that you had enough sense to recognize somebody else's good idea.
These memes can take a lot of time to moderate and such... I can understand shutting it down... and I'm glad somebody else took it over.
Like I always tell myself and my husband/children... try to have a generous attitude. There is nothing wrong with continuing to list a number of things on a theme for your readership. People will continue to read your posts because they like your voice.
This kind of reminds me of the bigger problem facing the computer world... between folks behind open office products and folks behind microsoft products.
Hugs to all in the community of bloggers! By the way... does anyone know anything about word press blogging? I'm looking at moving my blog...
Tammy ;) :) :)