ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

June 25, 2007

Who's conspiring against me???

Between the refrigerator, the roof leaking/shingle blowing off, child needing braces (which I haven't blogged yet), our second computer going down, car needing some serious help, well, I'm looking for a job.
Then we got a virus or Trojan horse or adware thingy on my computer. It kept popping up a thing saying we have a virus and this and that and to click to download software to get rid of it. But it was NOT our virus protection software that was saying it, and it always brought up this same software to BUY to get rid of it. I will wipe out my computer and start over before I will give money to the creeps who put out those adware to make money on their software!
So, my dh did search after search and we downloaded things to get rid of it, and we just couldn't do it. Everything worked on the computer, but we couldn't get rid of the annoying pop ups that would stop whatever we were doing until we dealt with it.
So, Donnie found a way to manually get rid of it. And he did! Its gone, gone gone! But so is my ability to access anything that needs to be signed into. Email, blogging, commenting, you know, MY LIFE!!!!!!!
We are going to have to back up all my pics and files and reinstall everything.
But, the good news is that Donnie is on vacation this week, so I can use his laptop to blog and check email, and he has the time to take care of it. (when he's not fishing) And I work at the church this week, so while I sit there with very little to do besides answer the phone, I can do a little blogging and emailing. I only have to answer phones and add finishing touches to the weekly bulletin and print it out and play with some announcement slides.

Maybe I need to do some major house cleaning??? And this has to happen when all the kids are home and we want to play computer games in the heat of the day, but NO computer works, except Donnie's work laptop.

So, if I'm not commenting much, or visiting or posting, or emailing, you know why. Not to mention the busy week we have.
Kaytlin goes in to the orthodontist this week. She has one permanent tooth that grew in sideways over her other teeth. So she has a gap in her mouth right now. I want to go to the appointment, but I am supposed to work. I may go, though. They are talking about doing something like putting a chain around the tooth and tightening it to bring the tooth down. But the rest of her teeth are straight enough, so why can't they just take it out and put it in place right? Can't we just take it out and put in a fake tooth, not dentures, but a permanent one posted in? Kaytlin doesn't want that, though.
And then on Friday Donnie has to take a group of kids to the Minnesota Zoo for Kaytlin's 16th birthday party.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

alisonwonderland said...

wow, it's always something! hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. The great thing is that your husband is home and able to help you through all of this. My computer used to crash at the most inopportune times, such as when my husband was gone on a 2 week business trip. I feel for you...really, I do.

I know you said that you aren't currently homeschooling, but does this mean that you will miss out on the freebies this week at Homeschool eStore? If you are like me, I collect anything that is free, "Just in case" I should ever need it, no matter how remote.

JAM said...

About your computer. I have gotten adware and spyware from time to time over the years despite trying to keep a current blocker/finder/killer on my computer.

If you know how to start your computer in "safe mode", that's what I do, and run the blocker/finder/killer while in safe mode. I run it, and if it finds something, it quarantines and deletes the malware, and then I run it again, still in safe mode, and again until the software finds nothing.

Problem with malware (spyware and adware) is that it starts operating as soon as your computer starts up. Safe mode will only load enough of windows xp to make the computer work, and most malware cannot start, the blocker/finder/killer has an easier time of finding and quarantining the bad stuff.

Qtpies7 said...

I told my dh about doing the safemode thing, and apparently he did that, but he didn't run it several times, just once??? Not sure. But it gets worse now, sigh.