ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

August 07, 2007

Drew Enlisted!

Drew did sign on the dotted line today with the United States Air Force. I don't understand all of what transpired, and I'm not really sure I'm happy with it, but Donnie and Drew were. So, I will be meeting with the recruiter later this week to sign the papers since Drew is still a minor for another month, and I'll get all my questions answered then.
Basically, he gets sworn in next week, then he's delayed entry until next summer/fall. He gives them a list of career paths and they choose from there for him. (we'll pray for God's direction there, since Drew doesn't actually have any one path narrowed down) IF Drew has a year of college credits the first year in the AF, then he can apply for ROTC. That is what I am not happy about, but he has $38k GI Bill for college, and that is nothing to sneeze at. Worst case, Drew does his time, does college online or after he gets out, and it gets paid for by the GI Bill. Best case, he goes ROTC, becomes an officer, and has a bit better edge for a career later.
Now, does this mean I have to start treating him like he's an adult?

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to Drew!

Kris said...

Congratulations Drew and er, um....I'm at a loss here....Hooah?

I'm not surprised about the ROTC thing. With the Army, their ROTC program for enlistees is called Green to Gold, and you have to have more than two years in, I think. Been a while since I looked at the details. But you're right, that $38K is nothing to sneeze at for sure. And he's got till 10 years after he gets out to use it!

Praying for God's provision over the next year and that Drew will be a shining light among our nation's heroes!

Carina said...

Hmm. Treating him like an adult. I don't know if that's ever going to be easy for a parent to do. Not that I've been there yet, of course.

I'm still struggling with treating my oldest like a "big boy"