ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 18, 2007

Things I have learned about parenting~ part 1

There are many things you can do to prepare to be a parent. You can learn to change diapers, how to prepare a bottle, and even take CPR. You can even read tons of books on getting your child to sleep at night, how to potty train, and gentle discipline.
But there are things you just have to learn on your own. Things books can't teach you. And things you really can't teach others because each child is unique. Ok, so you may have a text book child, but keep going and you are bound to get one that doesn't fit anything you've read about.
I have learned the kids make up their own rules. Trinity let a big fart rip last night and after she got done with her huge guffaw I asked her what you say after you fart. She said "Essuu...ora." I wasn't sure what she was saying, but I knew it didn't end in "me" like it should. So I told her to say "Excuse me" and she said "No, I say 'Dora!'"
I learned that whatever you enjoy they will destroy. I used to collect glass vases, the more beautiful etching the better. One day I heard a horrid sound of breaking glass when Drew was about 1 1/2yo. I went running to find the sound and saw Drew standing there in only a diaper, bare feet, surrounded by glass. And he was gleefully smashing vase after vase. I couldn't yell to get him to stop because I didn't want him to take off running and get his feet cut up.
I learned never to fall asleep before your kids. (as a bonus lesson I learned not to talk in my sleep!) My friend Sheree was letting her little 2yo brush her hair while they watched some TV together. She was so relaxed that she fell asleep. Later she woke up and found her hair laying next to her. Not attached to her head. She was so devastated that he had cut her hair off! She started to yell at him through the tears and he started crying "But I asked! You said I could!" Mmmhmm. She gave him permission to cut her hair in her sleep! Sometimes God teaches us through other people, thankfully!
I have learned that kids are very sneaky and love getting their siblings in trouble very, very early. When sweet little Kaytlin was born Drew seemed to be a little jealous, because when we'd leave the room he was hurting her, making her cry. So when she'd cry we'd yell at him. Grandma came to visit us and she was watching them from just out of the room. Kaytlin was alone in the playpen and Drew came in the room, walked right by the playpen and Kaytlin started screaming like he'd stuck her with a pin! Donnie and I started yelling at Drew. Kaytlin started grinning from ear to ear. She was 5 months old. But she was not the exception. Lately Trinity has been on a baby kick, drinking Sam's bottles and such. Devon was getting mad at her and yelled at her for it. He turned away. I watched Sam dangle the bottle in front of Trinity and give it to her. Then he started screeching and Devon started to go after Trinity! And Sam stopped screeching and smiled.

What have you learned about parenting that books don't teach you? I have lots more that I'll eventually post, I don't want to get too windy here.

9 people think my kids are qtpies:

Carina said...

That's great stuff. I'll have to write this all down somewhere.

Andrea said...

Wow...so that's what my future looks like?! haha!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've learned that having more than two kids means you and your husband are outnumbered and doomed.

Jackie said...

I've learned that each stage of childhood goes by in a flash. You have to enjoy each phase, even the more challenging ones, while it lasts. That's why blogging is so great! Instant scrapbooking!

Julie said...

You are so right, every child is individually his own personality. The books just can't help you with everything.

I will definitely remember the falling asleep thing. Yikes!!!

Andrea said...

About the hip carry you commented on at my blog...I think it would work with stretchy wraps, you'd just have to put it tight against yourself and not loosen it at all probably! I've never tried it with a stretchy one...but have thought about it and probably will! If you try it first, let me know how it works! :)

Mrs. Stam said...

thanks for you wisdom!!!

Allie said...

Oh you are so right. One can read all the books that they want in preparation to assist them in parenting but when it comes down to it, it is live by the moment most of the time.

Thanks for a few of the giggles.

Anonymous said...

What you said is most definitely true.
Each little person is different in their own ways.

My wife and I have 4, which keeps us a little busy.
I'd imagine if we had as many as you we'd be even busier.