ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 11, 2007

Train them up right

I have a desire to not have to do anything to raise my kids to be able to take care of themselves. One of the ways I prepare them for that is by having them learn to cook. They decide what they are cooking and sometimes even get to shop for the ingredients. One night a week each child, who is old enough, is forced to gets the privilege to cook for the family.

Well, Drew and Kaytlin have been taking cooking and baking classes at school. Kaytlin is now in advanced foods, and Drew is just starting. But they get inspired in those classes. Kaytlin has made some interesting foods, shrimp stir fry, coconut shrimp like at The Outback, and some yummy desserts.
Last night was Drew's night to cook and he called me from school to tell me he was planning to go to the store to buy ingredients for supper. He made homemade salsa and quesadillas, but not just any quesadillas, quesadillsa with BACON. And let me tell you, that is a welcome addition! It is better than chicken. It is amazing, and I really thought I would not like it. His salsa was pretty good stuff, too.

Don't hate me because I am lazy smart.

11 people think my kids are qtpies:

Elizabeth F. said...

Wow! I need to remember this little tidbit when my kids are old enough.:-)

Anonymous said...

I think it's a GREAT idea that you're teaching your kids to cook. I'm hopeless in the kitchen. Hopeless!

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Anonymous said...

Good for you for teaching your kids some life skills like cooking and grocery shopping. And the fact that you get a night from cooking is a bonus. You are so smart!

byoc said...

Speaking of Kaytlin's cooking - I was just talking about her Poppyseed Chicken - can you send me the recipe again? It is fabulous. By the way - Devon did great on some pork chops while he was visiting here. Thanks for raising my grandchildren so wisely. Can I send PIP to you?

Unknown said...

I love this idea...I have ever intention of doing it this year, but haven't tried it yet. How old are your kids when you start?

Qtpies7 said...

I started making the kids cook weekly about 2 years ago, which would make my youngest 8yo. But I start them cooking before that age, they just need help for a while. But I do make each one cook one day a week, including my dh, so I only cook one night a week. We don't eat as nice as often, but we do get some great meals and some nasty meals, and some non-existant meals and, well, you get the drift, lol.

Sassyfrazz said...

I think it is just wonderful that they do their part. You are such a good momma!

Anonymous said...

I don't share the kitchen with my children as often as I should. The determined ones elbow me out every now and again. One of my sons received an "everything chocolate" cookbook from one of his sisters for his birthday, since it seems that is his favorite cooking ingredient. He also loves to make crepes. Sadly for me, he is currently rooming with his older brother, not cooking at home. His first business upon arriving at his brother's place was to scrub the kitchen and stock it so they wouldn't have to eat out all the time.

I'm going to try to do better with consciously sharing the kitchen. Thank you for this post!

Anonymous said...

Our oldest cooks dinner a few nights a week for us. She is 19. The 9 year old and 6 year old are helping out in the kitchen with assistance. The 5 year old is beginning to learn and her 3 year old sister of course has to do everything she does.

Carina said...

Cooking classes at school? Man, that would've been awesome!

Jackie said...

What a great idea! You are BRILLIANT!