ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

October 15, 2007

Why I shouldn't be allowed to have a cell phone...

Donnie was doing a last minute job on the DVD we made (ahem, he made) for my dad's 60th birthday. In other words, he didn't start making it until 1:30am the morning I needed it. Yeah, not happy.
So, he went to burn some copies for the rest of the siblings. He ended up burning 20 copies, and it took forever, meanwhile I am waiting for him to get back because I need to leave. Hours before. I was steaming.
Lets just say the face he saw when I opened the door was pretty scary.
So to suck up he had gone to fill the van with gas and brought me a coffee, he knew it would be bad no matter what, but since I had no coffee in the house it was probably going to physically hurt.
I didn't drink it until I got in the van and was gone. It was so weak. It could barely even be called coffee. But I needed the caffeine, and there was no gas station for another 1/2 hour to get a good one.
Toward the bottom of the cup it started to get stronger, so I opened the lid and took a drink and found something weird. Yep, that huge brown chunk on the bottom. I was really grossed out. I didn't think that the machines spit out a hunk of powder and then the water, so I had no idea what it could be.
I decided to take a picture of it with Kaytlin's camera phone and email the pic to Donnie to show him what a crappy cup of coffee he had gotten me. (because I am nothing if not quick to get over things, you know) (oh, and I'm not sarcastic at all)
I don't know how to even turn the camera on, so Kaytlin walked me through it. And I got it. So, now to email it. I got to a screen, and I was not asking for help through it. I came to a list of phone numbers and I know that is not right, I need to email it, so I hit what is normally the "back" button on my camera, thinking I'm smart. But what actually happened what I got a "sending message" screen. Oh, I tried hitting end a million and one times, but it didn't seem to want to cancel that order to send the picture to everyone in her phone book.
Try doing that to a 16yo girl. Yes, I ruined her life. Her driving instructors cell phone is in there. He's going to think she's a freak. Not to mention all her friends who are going to wonder what she was thinking. Kaytlin told me that I needed to stick to the cell phone that has great big buttons that say "yes" "no" "push here stupid." Stuff like that. (and yes, the phone really does exist!)
But later she went through to see how bad the damage was, and it turned out it did stop, and it only got partially sent to Drew, but cancelled, and not to everyone.
I thought it was great, I managed to fulfill my God-given duty to embarrass my teenagers in front of their friends. Unfortunately, the message did not go to everyone. (although I don't know that I would want to pay for the bill for all those messages.)
I called Donnie to tell him what I had done. And it turns out that he KNEW all along how weak the coffee was and he tried to cover it by dropping a hunk of chocolate in the bottom. That hunk was what was left after 45 minutes in hot coffee.

7 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! He could have told you ahead of time of his cover up. lol

Jackie said...

Hmmm, a little humble pie with that coffee?

But at least you got to embarrass the teenager a little bit.

Andrea said...

haha...you guys are funny! If only our family had adventures as exciting as that....well at least you know it wasn't anything REALLY gross in the bottom of the cup...just a hunk of chocolate. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, this is great! I LOVE your retelling. This so could have happened to me. But a hunk of chocolate that didn't melt in 45 minutes? Girl, you must have been desperate to get to it. oh, and I admire your determination to not give up on your goal to embarrass your kids!

Carina said...

Weak, chocolate coffee. Now that's love.

So close on the embarrassment thing. You'll have to try again next time.

JAM said...

Jeesh, that sounds like something from my family.

K said...

That's funny that he thought a piece of chocolate would work