ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

December 11, 2007

Weirdo bank dealings

Devon's swim coach lost our check, he says it was stolen and wants us to stop payment on it. I'm not sure anyone could cash it because of how it was written to the school. But anyway, we checked our balance to make sure it hadn't come in, and we had a decent balance left in our account last night. With the check not coming we expected to be OK. So this morning Donnie and I were getting our glasses picked up. I wanted to go deposit my check but he didn't want to because "this is a different branch." OK, I understand, they may not give us REAL money here. (little goofy spat, really he just didn't want to waste time because he still had to get to work)
We went ahead and went to Hardee's to get some breakfast, knowing the money was there and I was going to put my check in today before the new check we wrote to the school could get deposited.
Our card was denied at the drive-thru! We asked them to hold the food while we went and got the cash.
Donnie checked the ATM balance while I stood in line at this little country town branch of our bank. -$10! What happened?
So we stood in line and got a print out and I said, "Oh, I forgot about insurance." Donnie said that had come out 3 days ago. And the teller said that it had come out but the put it back in and took it back out today. What????
No, that is what they do. The charge comes in and they take it out of your balance, but then they put it back until it really comes in. (not that this had anything to do with why we were in the hole) So we are asking her why they do that, and what good it is to have online access if it isn't actually a true balance. And she says "You need to keep a checkbook register." Duh! But what we are asking isn't related to that! It doesn't happen to be why we are in the hole, but why can't we trust that when you take out our insurance payment you aren't going to put it back in our account and then take it out again later? "You need to keep a check register." We kept it up and she again snidely said I needed to keep a register. I flipped.
"Do NOT speak to me like I am a child! Keeping a register has nothing to do with WHY ON EARTH YOUR STUPID COMPUTERS ARE DOING THIS!" The balance you get online is not your actual balance. The balance that you get from logging in to the bank's own system, is not your actual balance. And a charge that is there one day may not be there tomorrow. Then show up a couple days later. Somehow keeping a check book register is going to make your computer system smart? Really?
Do not talk to me like that. Here you are showing us a statement that says we are -$110 while the ATM says we are -$10, and the online balance says we have $198. "Oh, well it is only -$10 because of your paypal deposit that is coming in." Why isn't it on the print out but is already in the ATM?
We haven't had time to compare the statement yet and figure out what our problem is, but oh I was so ticked at that woman!

On the way home Donnie said to just remember that she was a "Malacian" and not from our town. We at least got a giggle out of it! And caught it right away so I could get my check in there.

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Carina said...

My first comment was deleted, so I'll try this again.

Snooty bank people just make we want to scream.

Jessica said...

My bank does something similar. It will have "pending" transactions and these won't come out for days and days and when they do they will come out backwards, like the most recent transaction first. My husband works at the bank and he can't explain it. UGH!

Sassyfrazz said...

grrr...she needs this class:

Customer Service 101~!