ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 20, 2008

So much competition, not enough money

Today we had a baked goods auction fundraiser at our church. I made a cake for it.
Yesterday was Earth Day, and even though we are not "environmentalists" we did make an Earth Day cake. Kaytlin was making it for a friend of hers because they always eat cake on Earth Day, just because. Her friend ended up stuck in another town, so we went ahead and just did the cake for us. It is chocolate with gummy worms in it, you know, for the dirt and worms in the earth. It was ugly, but fun. Devon sat and critiqued my lack of perfection on what continent was which shape. If he is so smart, he better start bring home better grades.

This is the cake I made for the auction. I love the cake. It is so pretty, and so fancy, but it is SO easy to make. But for me, it has a story.
When I was pregnant with Trinity I was sure she was a boy. God had told us we would have a son, Samuel, and we just assumed it would be our first reversal child. (never assume) So when I kept saying "he" my doctor called me on how I was so sure. I said I was so sure that if I was wrong I would make all the birthday cakes for his family that year. His birthday was the next month, so he ran out of the room and grabbed the ultrasound machine. And he proved me wrong. So he ordered a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I can't do plain. It isn't in me. So I found this Chocolate Explosion cake in the Wilton cake book and made it for him. It has almost been 5 years and he mentioned the cake when I was in a couple weeks ago, lol.
Pastor Chad was so disappointed not to win this one today. Most people said they couldn't eat it because it was so pretty, and others said it just didn't look real. But Chad said he'd have no problem eating every bite. He's turning 30 soon, so he'll get his cake.


This pie is one of the two things we won at the auction. It is so HUGE! I didn't know pies came in bigger sizes than normal, but it works for us. I put a knife on the pie to show how big it is. That is a normal size steak knife.

I was bidding on (3) a pecan cream pie. I have never heard of that, but I had to have it. Had to. But so did several people. I didn't bid on one of them because one guy started the bid at $20. But when the other two reached $20 I went after Todd's pie. And I did it towards the end of bidding, and he was nowhere in sight. I walked off to check on kids. Big mistake. Todd somehow managed to escape his meeting to check on his bid and bid $25 and I had no idea, so I thought I had it.
Now I have to find a recipe. It looked to-die-for good.


If only we had more money left to have bid higher. Can you believe the support we got? That is one table on the left and 5 tables on the right side! We had 60 desserts to bid on! I can't wait to find out how much money we raised for the youth to go on their trip this summer.

6 people think my kids are qtpies:

michelle said...

Your cake looks awesome! You are very talented. Wanna bake my birthday cake this year? I don't usually get one unless it is store bought, because my family never makes me one. My daughter will soon be old enough to take it on though.

Michelle

Wendy said...

What cool cakes. I don't have the patience for all of that! My kids would love it if I did. I find it funny that your doctor gave you an ultrasound just to get a free cake!!!! Too funny.

Anonymous said...

I'll be looking for that cake when I turn 30. I'll need it just to get through that day and the fact that I'm 30. Thanks for bringing it today.

Chad

Sassyfrazz said...

Your cake was so amazingly great, Lisa! You are so creative! That is really funny about your Dr. and Trinity! What a deal, though....cakes for a year? Very cool!
That will be funny if Chad reads this post, and sees what is in store for him!

Great photos! It was a fun day! :)

Kris said...

Oh.


My.


Goodness.


My blood sugar is soaring and I'm drooling on my keyboard! Girl, that chocolate cake looks TO DIE FOR!

Grandma J said...

Lisa, your cake was very cool looking, and Molly really wanted me to bid on it. I don't think I could have afforded it! There were bidding wars going on for that one. Hmmm...I wonder what kind of deals I could make with our favorite doc!

Sarah, look a little closer at the comment above yours! Chad obviously did read it.

I wish they would have set it up in the fellowship hall, it was too crowded to be able to even look at everything, let alone keep track of what you were bidding on.