ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

May 19, 2008

Cold break

I'm taking a forced break from blogging due to a nasty cold. Fever, vomit, snot, the works.

I want to blog about my trip to the Looney Bin on Saturday. Hey, I'll give it a try while I'm sitting up.
My cousin, who is much older than I am, her kids are grown and out of school, though not out of the house, graduated from college. Saturday was an open house to celebrate. Mom and I drove the nearly 2 hours to get their with Trinity and Sam. By the time we got to Elk River, which is 20 minutes away, Trinity was car sick. It is hit-and-miss whether she will get it or not. But we had to pull over to the drug store to get her some Dramamine. As we were getting to the turn we saw a truck with a heavy trailer up the slope on the side of the road. There were some police cars up ahead, too.
Apparently the truck had some trouble stopping and hit a boat in front of it on the way to the ditch and swung the boat all the way around on the trailer and the motor was in the back seat of the car, still attached to the boat. No one was hurt.

We got the meds and headed out. They didn't help. Trinity puked a couple of times along the way. We had to stop at Target to buy some new clothes, even. Nice way to get a new outfit. She was fine the rest of the day.

So, at the Looney Bin it was about normal. Loud voices, cussing, arguing over stupid things. Derek, my cousin's son, wasn't there, but his current girlfriend, who may or may not be pregnant, and his ex-girlfriend with her son who may or may not be Derek's, were both there. The boy looks just like him, but the paternity test was high match, but not enough to rule him the father.
Then there was the tattoo display. Debbie got one for a mid-life crisis. Her daughter has several. Her son's girlfriend and ex-girlfriend have them. My cousin Dori's husband has them. It was a big tattoo fest. (I'm not judging them for having tattoos, I actually want one, but not all over, or where people are going to see them. This is just what was going on at a graduation.) Then I found out my aunt, who is over 60 and just recovering from breast cancer, wants to get matching tattoos with her daughter and granddaughter; three intertwining hearts on their breasts. That is shocking from my aunt.

There was lots of talk of my other cousin needing a breast reduction, and more talk of boobs. Like her dad being a boob man. Yes, it was a sweet graduation celebration.

Somehow it led to talk of strip clubs. Even the girls were talking about the strippers. "All the girls there are so ugly, they are from Duluth!" I don't get how casually they took the guys talking about going to strip clubs. It would be a deal breaker in my marriage. Looking at another woman in lust, that is adultery. It would be over. That was super sad to me.

I have to say, though, it was probably the least crazy event in some time. Less swearing than usual, even.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

Darci said...

Love the running commentary!
I am designing my tattoo right now!

Kris said...

Family....can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

You lived!

Lisa said...

Sorry you feel so crummy....Surviving cancer leads many to do things they would not have done otherwise. My sister just walked 21 miles this weekend for "Her type" of cancer, lol I know she would never get a tatt tho.
I dont think my hubby would be "conscious" enough to see a strip club if I knew he was going to one (He has never been and does not want to) go to one....

Anonymous said...

they must think you're really weird then, lol!
my extended family is all from a "Christian" background and they think I'm weird :)