ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

June 23, 2008

Pick on Devon Day 4

At age 7, Devon continued his tough, active guy persona. One summer night Devon asked me for an Advil, and I told him he could have one. Devon is not one to complain about pain, so for him to even ask for something should have triggered my suspicions, but it didn't.
The next day Devon again asked for some Advil for pain. After saying "yes" to him it finally clicked that something big was going on. So I asked him what was wrong and he said he had hurt his ankle a couple days before, so I took a look and it was very, very swollen!

What kind of mother am I that I wouldn't know about that?? He hadn't bothered to mention it to me even. Drew, Kay and Devon were walking to the gas station about 5 blocks away when he ran ahead of the other two. They yelled at him to stop because they were supposed to stick together, and Devon stopped and twisted at the same time, hurting his ankle. Later I found out that my mom had driven by and saw him limping and she offered him a ride home and he said he was fine and stopped limping, so she went on home.

I took Devon to the doctor who put him on crutches for the bad sprain and sent us for x-rays. About 3 days later I got a knock on the door, and it was a nurse from the clinic, they hadn't asked for updated information when we'd been in and didn't have our new phone number. They had spent 3 days trying to tell me that Devon had also broken his ankle!

Oh, what a horrible feeling! My son had been running around on a sprained and broken ankle for two days before I even found out he had been hurt! The guilt!

We set up an appointment with Dr. Pain. Seriously. Well, it may have been spelled Payne, but it was still PAIN. He explained in more detail that Devon had actually broken a piece off the tip of his ankle, so it wasn't a bad break. It was up to Devon whether or not he wanted a cast, which would keep him from swimming for a long time. He chose no cast, and even was allowed to ditch the crutches, which he had actually been very faithful about using. The doctor said it would hurt to use the foot, but it would heal just as fast as not using it, it was up to Devon. Devon didn't mind the pain. Weirdo.

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Darci said...

Crazy kid.. thats intense..

Unknown said...

Bless his heart

Hey I saw your stat counter move!

Kathie said...

Obviously, Devon is all boy! They can be so tough sometimes it is amazing. Enjoyed reading through your blog. We have 5 kids, but they are all gone from home now.
Blessings from Costa Rica