ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

June 20, 2008

Pick on Devon Day

For lack of anything cool happening I have declared it "Pick on Devon day Week". Sometimes he frustrates me, so I think I shall air his dirty laundry for awhile, you know, just for kicks!

Many a year ago, I'm thinking he must have been about 4-5 because he still wasn't talking much, Devon came running in the house crying. That wasn't all that weird, except that he was actually wanting help, usually he just sucks it up and deals with whatever pain he is in.
Devon had lots and lots of speech delays and trying to figure out what happened was going to take near-super-powers.
I deduced through my mom-powers that something was in his eye as he was clawing at it and crying and pointing at it. Then I deduced that it must be something poisonous because there was a bit of a chemical-like smell to him, on his hands and face. Maybe he was in some cleaner and rubbed his eye?
So I started holding his head under running water, trying to hold his eye open. The crying continued, causing me to do some more mommy-powered deducing.
He was outside, possibly in the van, as we were getting ready to leave. Hmm, what could be in the van?
Out I went. I opened the van door and was knocked to the ground by the over-whelming odor and pain to my eyes.

Devon had sprayed pepper spray in the van.

After I was able to get up, I held my breath and shut my eyes so I could open all the doors and release the painful gas from the van.

Then I thought it was pretty funny that Devon had done that to himself, cause I am all about the empathy. Devon did actually learn from that one and never did it again. Or I just returned it to the neighbor and he didn't have the opportunity. I had borrowed it to keep me safe at a meeting in downtown Norfolk.

5 people think my kids are qtpies:

Darci said...

Poor little guy :)

Carina said...

Not everyone can say that he's pepper-sprayed himself.

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, no! Poor kid!

Brenda said...

Ah, I just love it when there's no need for a lecture.

Sassyfrazz said...

Owie! That is so sad! Lucky there wasn't any long term damage!