ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

June 26, 2008

Stop picking on Devon Day

I can't keep picking on Devon much longer, even though he does give us lots of material, he is maturing and changing so much over the last year and I am so proud of him.
I have had people come up to me and tell me how Devon has befriended their (new) child into the youth group, and I keep wondering if there are two Devon's in the church. But, no, he is actually starting to be kind and thoughtful and he doesn't care too much what other people think of him.
For instance, Devon will declare his faith, and he will even risk trouble at school to argue the truth with evolutionists. He has refused to do assignments that compromised his faith; he was supposed to make up a god, and he strongly believes in not having any other Gods. The teacher called me, and when it was confirmed that it was his religious belief, he was given a different writing assignment.
Most of Devon's friends are not Christians and do not always do things that are appropriate. Devon, who is 15, chooses to stay home most evenings and weekends instead of having to make those choices. That makes me so proud of him! I know he'd rather be off having fun, but he isn't going to compromise.

This weekend Devon leaves for a week long learning and service trip to Salt Lake City. I wasn't very excited about the cost, the distance or the city, but our youth pastor really hounded me about it until Donnie and I agreed to let him go. Pastor C really thinks this is going to be great for Devon, and I trust him, he has done amazing things with the youth in our church. And he liked Devon, or at least pretended to, even before Devon turned his behavior around, lol. So, Devon leaves, way out of my reach, for the second time in his life and I am really excited for him. And this time I even trust him.

Devon has a knack for living life. We can send him some place with no money, and he will be fine. It is weird, but people just buy him things, take him places, etc. We don't know how. He is also extremely fortunate, winning things, things going his way, etc.

Thus ends Pick on Devon Week.

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Sassyfrazz said...

I hope he has a great week!

Nancy Sabina said...

I can't believe that homework assignment! How wonderful that he has enough faith to know when something is wrong and to stand up to a "superior". He's like a character from the Bible! Maybe you should start calling him Shadrack!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you have an extraordinary son, with a great opportunity there. Hope his week is fantastic and life changing! What will they be doing in Salt Lake City?