ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

July 25, 2008

Aloha Friday #3

Welcome to this week’s edition of Aloha Friday.
Here is what Kailani says about it:
In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to
the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too.
Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a
lengthy response.
If you’d like to participate, just post your own question
on your blog and leave your link at An
Island Life
. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way
to make new bloggy friends!
I went to a couple of movies this month already and I was horrified to see they are now showing commercials before the previews! Horrified! Hello, the ticket price is already moved up to $7.50, and you add commercials? Do you SEE the price we pay for candy? And Popcorn? Hello! I will watch commercials without complaint if the prices drop. I think it is time for me to start complaining to our theater's management. Oh, and the people who know me know that I will do it, lol.
Here is my question:
Should movie theaters show commercials? I mean commercials for things like spaghetti sauce and Gatorade?

13 people think my kids are qtpies:

byoc said...

Life is too short to complain or whine about commercials as long as they aren't distasteful. The movie lasts for the same amount of time, regardless of what is shown on the screen before or after. If you get to the theatre early - chat with your peeps and ignore the commercials. You can spend the time helping me find my cell phone and figuring out how to turn it off.
Love,
Mom
PS
How do you do that line through the words things on here?

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

It has been quite some time since I have been to the movies. Even at that point they were starting to do commercials for items like coke and things sold at snack area. It really did not bother me, I am good at ignoring things like that. What does annoy me are the times they have ads for charities and stop to collect money. No offense take part of my ridiculous entry fee and donate it. If I want to donate to a certain cause I will do it at home not the movies.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

You'd think with all the in-movie product placements that happen today, prices would never go up! I wouldn't care if there were commercials, just not in the middle of the movie!

I'm lucky enough to live near a drive-in movie theater, and it's only $7 for an adult, and that's for two movies! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay I hope you mean $7.50 for a matinee - because a movie after 6pm in my town is almost $12 a ticket now!

I don't know, I kind of agree about not liking the commercials, but I also agree it doesn't bother me as much as the charity pan handling thing - I've just spent a small fortune on ticket and food and then they want to guilt trip me while I'm trying to forget how much money I've already spent - I know it sounds terrible, but I don't think it's right - they charge so much at theaters - to then ask for me is just cruel - and the way they go about it just seems wrong - because if you don't have extra money to put in their buckets you feel like a terrible scrooge! I'd rather see a sign saying, "a percentage of our ticket prices go to so and so charity" - I'd probably go to movies more then. As it stands, we go maybe 3 times a year these days... and I LOVE going to the movie - it's pretty sad.

Cathi said...

I don't care for commercials at the theater or at home on TV. I rarely watch commercials unless it happens to be a clever funny one that makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering now if only MA charges such high prices - they certainly charge an arm and a leg for everything else!

Kimberly said...

I was just at the movies a week or so ago to see Wall-E (awesome movie btw) and I don't remember commercials before. I do remember ads for upcoming movies though. Happy Aloha Friday!Spice World

happyathome said...

Absolutely not! That is just crazy! We go there to escape the commercials and pay, yes pay to see a movie, not adds. Thanks for stopping by my Aloha Friday wich is a new leash on life!
http://www.lifeislikechampagneblog.com/

Maisie said...

I just expect to see commercials everywhere, so I don't think it would bother me. The price to get into the movie bothers me and therefore we don't go. We rent DVDs or get them from the library instead.

Anonymous said...

We just went to the movies the other weekend, and we paid $9 for adults, and $7.50 for children, $11, for one small popcorn,soda, and candy.
I agree those prices are ridiculous.
I don't mind watching commercials if they are entertaining, but to sit and watch a movie to see commercials that I could see at home NO!

Heart of Rachel said...

It's alright as long as they show the commercials before or after the film.

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand commercials before movies. At my theatre, they show a commercial to join a church that meets up in the theatre on Sundays before the the movies start showing for the day. Weird, much?

Unknown said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't go to a movie on time to see a half hour of commercials and previews get to the movie already that's what I paid for