ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 01, 2008

Renaissance Festival

Donnie and I decided to finally just do it. We've always wanted to go to the Renaissance Festival. We even used to talk about doing a vow renewal all dressed in costume. Wouldn't that be fun? Not surprisingly, the Renaissance Festival has a free vow renewal weekend, lol. Maybe one day.
It was a hot day yesterday, but it wasn't too bad there. A nice breeze was blowing, and just when I was about to get really, really burnt, some clouds came and stayed over the sun.




The buildings were all themed, of course. It was amazing to walk through the village and check out all the great shops. There were a lot of pottery and wood working shops. If you are a jewelry nut, stay away, because they were every where! It is a good thing I am a major tightwad or I would have parted with a ton of money yesterday.





The costumes were everywhere, of course. This guy was one of the rare ones we could photograph. Not because it wasn't allowed, but because most costumes scorched the inside of our eyelids.
Especially the old guy in the super tight, super sheer, purple tights who wasn't wearing underwear. Or the girl whose top was so low on her size H chest that we couldn't figure out how on earth the top was staying on or covering her, ahem, tips. It was bad.
The guys in tights were bad enough, but then there was this group of "guys" (lets just say they weren't very manly and one I thought was a girl at first) and they were dressed in black leather. Like motorcycle guys. Except the black leather kilt, lol, that was NOT motorcycle-like. One guys pants were specially made to have a pouch out front to show off his stuff. Oh my word.




We did have fun watching the blacksmith work on an arrow head. Donnie has been wanting an anvil for quite a while now, so seeing this did not help matters.
Donnie now wants to take up blacksmithing in our garage.
The guy showed us what happens if you forget which end was in the fire, even after the piece looks cooled off. He touched it to the wooden ceiling beam and instant fire. Totally cool!



Then came the real fun!
Jousting!
This is Sir Victor. He was the knight we were rooting for. (you don't get a choice, you root by where you are sitting)
He actually did the best and it was fun to watch. They could probably use some acting lessons, but the action was so much fun.




Here they are about to joust. One of the lances shattered and actually flew into the crowd! Totally freaky!
Afterwards the knights come out into the crowd to beg for tips answer questions. They did a great job performing so we went over to put some money in Victor's helmet. He was dripping sweat! Nasty!
Donnie thought it was great that Victor checked me out. We argued about it. I knew he looked at my chest, but he was on the bleachers and I wasn't, so there isn't much of a choice in noticing a rather large chest at that angle. I saw it, but what could he do? But Donnie says he kept looking when I walked away. Knucklehead thought it was great. "Ha! The knight checked out MY woman!" Neanderthal.



Then Donnie got to show off his manliness.
Throwing this extremely heavy star shaped axes. He did great. But I was scared silly. I worried the whole time that someone would drop one backwards and kill us. When we were watching the people ahead of us, I hid behind Donnie. I just peaked around his arm a bit.

I think he could get a bit too into this sport if given the chance.

He also did the archery shoot, but their bows are so lame. He shoots all the time, and with his nice bow, I couldn't even understand why he'd want to try that game, but he did.





Then we decided to make an idol of our love. So that our children will always be able to remember it.
We held hands and then burned the crap out of them dipped them in hot wax over and over and over again. The guy who took the wax off was a newbie and did not do a great job. We would have complained and done it over, but we didn't want to go through that again, lol.


Oh, well, we'll always have the memory of burning our hands together.

5 people think my kids are qtpies:

Carina said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Our family did a lot of ax and knife throwing when I was a kid. It sounds like we're all very lucky that you didn't take pictures of the costumes.

Grandma J said...

Ouch! I'm not sure I would have burned my hand in the name of love! Although it does look kinda cool. I've never been to the renaisance festival, but my parents used to go every year to sell "Johnny bread" from St. John's Abbey, back when Mom worked at SJU.

Lisa said...

Humm, does it burn the hair off too? If so then my hubby would have to do both PAWS, and I am only going to hold his hand once, he will just have to dunk the other out of PURE LOVE for me...

Sassyfrazz said...

I love the Renaissance Festival! I want to go again (yepper~all dressed up even). I haven't been there in over 5 years!

I would love to watch them joust! I have never seen that.

I still like what you told me about the waxing...that would be funny! LOL

Rosie : ) said...

Very neat idea, I've never seen this done before.