ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

March 02, 2009

The lost art of babywearing

Babywearing is not a new fad, it has been around for as long as there has been fabric to carry them around in. Possibly even before that using animal skins. The majority of countries are babywearing countries, but civilization seems to have robbed our nurturing instinct in this area.



Babywearing became popular again in America with the term Attachment Parenting coined by Dr. Sears. Stores are cropping up all over the Internet offering slings, wraps, pouches and Mei Tei's to wear your baby in. There are so many ways to wear your baby, and the message has been heard by parents, even those outside of the Attachment Parenting circle.
But why would you want to wear your baby? What benefit does it have? Doesn't it spoil your baby?



This is an excerpt from my first newspaper article. To read the rest of the article go to the Examiner.

2 people think my kids are qtpies:

Sue said...

Great article! I have to admit that the first time I heard the terms "baby wearing" and "co-sleeping" I thought they sounded kind of funny. Those things were definitely not "in" over there before I came to Japan, and over here no one talked about those things and examined them. They just did them!

I definitely don't follow all Japanese child raising ideas (their ideas about dicipline are not Biblicalat all, of course), but my ideas about practical baby care, like "wearing" baby, breastfeeding, etc., have been very influenced by living here. These trends over in the US don't effect my everyday life here at all, but it is nice that when I go back for a visit I am no longer so freakish!

Lisa said...

I have tried to baby wear many times and it just KILLS my back. I am thinking I am not made to baby wear.