ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

March 03, 2009

Remove those winter coats for car seat safety

After 18 years of parenting, I just last year learned that it is not safe to put your child in a car seat with a winter coat on. That information absolutely shocked me. I had no idea that I had been putting my children in danger for all those years.

Car seat safety can only be achieved if the harness straps need to be snugly against your child. A thick winter coat behind and in front of your child makes for a lot of extra space for your child, even though it seems as though the straps are snug. A coat will compress during a crash leaving enough space for your child to slip out of the straps and be thrown from the vehicle.

The National Highway Transportation Authority says "always remove bulky clothing or blankets before you place your child in the seat" and "never place anything thick under the baby, unless the item came with the car seat originally."

What can we do here in Minnesota? It is not safe to not have a coat on your child in the frigid winter temps, either. Is there a good alternative? How do you know if the coat you bought is too thick for the car seat?

This is an excerpt from my article, to read more please go to the Examiner.

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Debra said...

Hi......with an 18 month old I had to ask my sister what to do about the coat thing. Glad she gave me the right advice. :-)

Just found your blog....I saw you comment on another blog about wanting to try out Suave products. I have a huge Suave giveaway going on right now with a basketful of products from Suave if you want to enter. Thought I'd pass it along.....especially with so many kiddos!!

Sassyfrazz said...

That is astounding! Really...how scary is that? I should really move somewhere warmer, because going without a winter coat in MN is unheard of! I often wondered about the straps fitting so lose after the coat, or even different outfits, were exchanged for something else. Now, I am thankful for the carseat insert I have! :)

Great Article, Lisa!

Lisa said...

I have known about this but I am thankful that we have not lived in a place yet that requires us to bundle up in super cozy jackets.