ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

July 05, 2009

Can I have it?

So many times as parents we have found ourselves giving in to our children's pleading and let them have something they desired, even when we knew it was not going to turn out well. I want my children to be happy. But are we giving in when we shouldn't be?

"Daddy, please? I'll take care of it and love it and do everything for it and you won't even know it is here!"
"Mommy, please? I won't get hyper and I will eat all my supper, I promise!"
"Can I go? Please? I will do my chores when I get home, I promise! I don't want to miss this and I have to leave now. I promise I will do my chores when I get back! I'll even do extra chores!"

We know that they are not going to follow through, why do we give in?


If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a
stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he
shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how
to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father
give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? Luke 11:11-13

Does God parent like we do? Or more accurately, are we parenting like God does? Sure, if our children are asking for food, we should give them good foods, but what about the other things? Does God give in to our begging and pleading knowing that we are not going to keep our promises? Why? He knows we aren't going to follow through. I know that I have done that with God.

The results of our wanting to give good gifts to our children will be arriving at our house this afternoon in the form of a puppy. I KNOW that Cody is not going to take complete care of him. But we said yes anyway. What is wrong with us?

2 people think my kids are qtpies:

Carina said...

Well, it looks like Sam will take care of him anyway. What a cute little puppy!

Lisa said...

The reason you said yes is because EVERYONE loves puppies!!!!!!!!!