ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

January 08, 2010

Life changes

Right now I am sitting in the ICU next to my mother in law's bed watching her being force-fed oxygen. Her chest stops moving, then she can't resist the forced air of her BiPAP and she inhales. I have relieved her children and husband so they can go eat together.

For the last several months my mother in law has been pretty sick. She has been in the hospital pretty much since the day before Thanksgiving, with the exception of a day and a half. She has congestive heart failure, kidney failure, her lungs are filling with fluid and she has a pancreatic cyst that they tried to drain into her stomach with a stint. The stint didn't hold and now she has a whole in her stomach which is leaking into her body. This is a catastrophic condition, but they are unable to operate because she would not survive.
We have been with her in the hospital since Thursday night waiting for her to die. It is horrible to even say that! We hope and hope she gets better, and every spike in her vitals towards normal makes up more hopeful, only to have them dashed again.
Now here we are with the decision to remove her BiPAP machine that is helping her get more oxygen, but she is fighting it now. I am very thankful I did not have to make that decision, but it is very hard watching her get further and further away from consciousness. She will open her eyes if we shake her, but she no longer even looks at us or answers us with a blink or squeeze of the hand.

We could be in for a really long night once they remove that machine, or it could end quickly. But no matter what, Joyce will not be in pain or discomfort. That is her ultimate goal, she just wants to feel better. No more pain. No more struggle to breathe. No more surgery. The doctors could not help her over the last 6 months.

This is not only not a situation we thought we would find ourselves in at our age, but certainly not at Joyce's age of 66. It seems so unfair.

Back to waiting for the doctor to come remove the BiPAP.

10 people think my kids are qtpies:

Mrs. Stam said...

Sorry about the sad news! Praying for the Lord's will to be done!

My uncle (65) 2 days after his birthday got sick with what he taught was a pneumonia after a few test they discovered that he has terminal cancer and could die anytime now ( we got the news about 2 weeks ago and already his health is been getting worse and worse) it's it weird waiting for death to come.

Mrs. Stam said...

Sorry about the sad news! Praying for the Lord's will to be done!

My uncle (65) 2 days after his birthday got sick with what he taught was a pneumonia after a few test they discovered that he has terminal cancer and could die anytime now ( we got the news about 2 weeks ago and already his health is been getting worse and worse) it's it weird waiting for death to come.

Lisa said...

Honey I am praying for you and for Joyce, the whole family. Father God I am asking for your will to be done. Joyce has had a long battle, as has her family. We ask that you hold and comfort not only Joyce but the whole family tonight.

Carina said...

You're in my prayers! If I could reach out through the ether and give you a big hug, I would!

Carol said...

I am so sorry and sad for Joyce's passing. We (her pogo friends) will all miss her very deeply, Although we never met her in person, we did know her heart and spirit. She was family to all of us. She will forever remain in my memories and my heart. Our prayers are with her and her family.
Rest in Peach Joyce ((((HUGS)))) LOVE YOU LOTS!!!

Anonymous said...

to JOYCE PEDERSONS FAMILY my name is john aka thu1andonlyp in pogo also run a league called the zookeepers which joyce aka jellot was involved with... i personly new jellot for almost 3 years since the days she was playing in friends and family then the brats league it is a honor to call her a friend SHE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED BYE ALL.. may GOD hold her in his arms while there in his presence she will NEVER be forgotten bye the zookeepers league or her many friends GOD BLESS YOU AT YOUR MOMENT OF NEED MAY YOU RIP JOYCE PEDERSON AKA JELLOT much love always john janatsch aka thu1andonlyp

Anonymous said...

To Joyce and her beloved family my name is ann I am also a member of the zookeepers. I understand very well what you all had to go thru with your decision. We too had to end the support for my granny when she passed so I feel your pain deeply for and with you. I pray for you all daily that god will ease your pain in this time of need and know that Joyce was and is loved by many here at the Zookeepers and her pogo family. My love and thoughts are with you all. Boosbaby26 (zookeepers)

kailani said...

I'm so sorry for what your family is going through. 66 is still so young! My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. I really didn't have any part in the planning of my mother's funeral, and Betty did most of my father's. Give Donnie a big hug for me.

I will really miss Joyce also. I was looking forward to more early morning breakfasts with her when I come out to visit. I really enjoyed our time together - we laughed, we shared, we repeated stories that we told the morning before - much to our children's enjoyment.
Mom

Joyful Noise said...

I remember watching both my grandparents...not fun situation although they were a lot older too. She was so young. All of her family is in my prayers especially Donnie and you!