ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

March 17, 2010

Maybe I am looking at this weight thing the wrong way?

This New Jersey woman has a "fantasy" of weighing 1000lbs. She doesn't consider it an attainable goal, but a dream or fantasy. She likes being large, and wasn't happy when she was thinner. Her husband, who found her on a large woman dating site, encourages her to get bigger.
The first thought is "Is she nuts? She needs to be seen. She can't be mentally healthy! Doesn't she care about her daughter?" Well, hello! We don't get to decide for other people what they can and can't do when it doesn't abuse another person, or themselves. You can argue that this is killing herself, or that she is going to hurt her child by dying early, but really, that isn't our business.
Do I agree with what she is doing? NO!!!!! But I don't like being told I am wrong because I do things different from mainstream society. And in our culture she is wrong, but other cultures find obesity to be a great thing.

9 people think my kids are qtpies:

Mrs. Stam said...

My husband too like women that are more round but he still wants me to be healthy. When we got married I was underweight (110 lbs at 5.6") And had problem gaining weight all my life.

So after we had our first child was born I was 145 lbs (normal for my height) And he was making sure that I would not go down again, he brought me sweets from his bakery every night LOL

So I understand that lady wanting to please her husband but their is a fine line between doing what is best for your husband and treating your body has the holy temple that God give you.

Does it make any sense, I don't want sound judgmental or critical, just thinking that in everything their should be a balance?!

Joyful Noise said...

Dan always tells me skinny girls need to eat a sandwich but I don't think he would like me to eat that many sandwiches. Although if you take what I am "supposed" to weight...I would need to lose 100 pounds to weigh 114 pounds. Not happening...I guess I will just have to be fat!

Carina said...

Like you say, it's not our place to judge if no one is being hurt by her. How is it different than someone who has other strange desires for who or how they want to be.

I couldn't do it, but I don't think it's a sin, per se.

Anonymous said...

I am having trouble leaving a comment so this is another test. I may just have to leave it anonymously, although I don't mind leaving my name. I just can't get it to work.

Anonymous said...

I am having trouble leaving a comment so this is another test. I may just have to leave it anonymously, although I don't mind leaving my name. I just can't get it to work.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my identity is blessedmomofmany and my email is abct at dnet dot net (written that way so webcrawlers can't spam me)but I can't post for some reason. Anyway, about the morbidly obese woman desiring to reach 1000 lbs.
Everyone is saying so far that we can not judge her or that it is not sinning. To overeat to this point is gluttony, which is a sin. Our body is supposed to be a temple and we are to exercise disclipine in all areas of our lives.
Am I perfect? NO!
I could lose a few pounds myself, but I eat a healthy diet and treat my body as well as possible. For instance, I am pregnant and have to closely monitor my blood sugars and what I eat to make sure this baby and I are both as healthy as possible. The abuse of one's self depicted in this situation is sinful, just like any other sin against the body and there is no other way to see it. Blessings!

Lisa said...

This just makes me sad, she wants to gain notoriety by gaining the most weight. Its sad her passion for wanting to be in the Guiness book of world records can and will kill her at some point leaving her very young daughter with out a mommy...Is she in it for the money? How does she afford all her groceries? I know I cant spend over $700 a monthe on my family of 6...who I am I to judge tho.

Grandma J said...

I don't believe in judging people either, but this is just wrong. I think it's a cop out! She couldn't lose the weight, so instead she decides she's going to be famous for being as fat as she can?? Please. This is NOT okay. Like anorexia, or bulemia, it is clearly some type of eating or mental disorder.

I weigh less than HALF what she does, and I have aches and pains and other weight related problems myself. NO ONE in their RIGHT MIND would CHOOSE to be that big. She's NOT in her right mind.

Qtpies7 said...

I agree that she is sinning in her gluttony, what I am saying is that it isn't our place to go taking her child away or judging her in all the newspapers. People are going bonkers against her.

We don't go publishing everyone's sins and taking thier kids away. What about all the people who cheat on their spouses? They are destroying their families and hurting their kids, but we don't publish that and say they are abusing their kids and should have them taken away.

Basically, mainstream America doesn't judge people on sin, but this one they are going to put their nose in. Not the ones that are tearing America apart and destroying countless lives, but this one woman who is out of control with eating.