ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

November 18, 2012

Searching.............

I have moved so many times in my life, I don't even know how many. It doesn't scare me, really. I know that you can find a life anywhere you end up. And I know it takes some time to get into a groove and find your place.
But this time, this move, it stinks. I'm probably just over reacting, since it has only been about 6 weeks, but I am frustrated.
The move doesn't stink, and Texas doesn't stink. Finding a church and friends stinks.

We are in the Bible Belt, with churches almost as frequent as mexican food places. Which is a HUGE yum, by the way. Baptist churches alone are in plentiful supply in just a 10 mile radius. It would take us a year to try out all the churches close to us.

So why is it so hard to find one that all 6 of us like well enough to keep going? One I liked the worship, totally felt God's presence, but the preaching was kind of dull and the people are very cliquish, 3 stops there and I know not one person's name. Next one, loved the classes and people so, so much, and the little kids LOVED the classes, but the worship and preaching were not so great, and the teens violently oppose going there. Next one was ok for most of us, not exciting, but we liked the people, and the kids were all content except the little 2 did not like going to big church. In retrospect I didn't feel like the people were that mature in nature, though they were not spiritually immature, and that is saying something from me, I am not terribly mature, lol. The fact that they played TEN songs in worship drove us all nuts. Then we try another one that we all were OK with, but it wasn't memorable. That wouldn't be so bad, but we were told that they believe God changes His mind, and I am not sure I want to go down that road.

We could go back to the one that seems so impenetrable, but they are just healing from a major upheaval, and we are barely healed from our major upheaval with a church. We will probably give them another chance, though, since we didn't try a Sunday morning group yet.

It has been only 6 weeks, so I know I am being a bit premature, but for me, I need a church. I don't know anyone and I am so lonely. Everyone except me gets out of the house and meets people and has a chance to form relationships. I get out and see store clerks. I don't have a chance to meet people except on Sundays. I meet people I think I could be friends with and then no one else in the family want to go back. I am just ready to throw in the towel. I won't, but I am so frustrated. I just want to meet people and have a life outside of this house.

So, I am thinking of volunteering opportunities that would still be flexible enough for me to be home if the kids were sick. And that do not involve watching other people's brats. :) I don't mind other people's kids, I just have no tolerance for the bad behavior of some of them.

Send me some volunteer ideas that are NOT in the schools.

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Michelle said...

For what it is worth, it has taken us up to a year to break into any area. Illinois was the worst. We never were able to break into a church or make any kind of friendships before I did finally give up and we moved a year later.

It is hard sometimes and I do wish you all the best. Some places just seem easier than others.

Michelle said...

Sorry. I forgot to list my volunteer ideas. My top two picks would be either a food bank or else a local library (nice, quiet setting surrounded by books, plus flexible time...you can't go wrong there!)

Qtpies7 said...

I tried the library, they don't need any more volunteers, I could go on a list.
I am going to look into the crisis pregnancy centers, though.

And a year is about average for me, too in most places, at least for a good close friend, but I can usually get some people to do things with fairly quickly. Our last move I had a friend in less than a month, and I am still friends with her. :)