ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

February 17, 2007

Cody's birth story


Don't forget, I'm having a contest! Share your birth story with me! Here's a link to the Birth Story Contest!


Cody was a bit of a surprise baby. We had recently had a miscarriage and Donnie was very upset that he couldn't take care of me, couldn't stop the pain or protect me. So he was going to get a vasectomy. I asked him to pray about it first because making a decision like that on a fear doesn't make sense. So he went on a month long job out of town and prayed about it. He came home (for 2 weeks) and told me that God had asked him to leave our family size in His hands, in other words never use birth control again. And he agreed. Then he left for another 5 week business trip. After he knocked me up, of course, lol.
Three months of puking requiring a hospital stay, but otherwise an uneventful pregnancy. We were in Germany, but moved to the states for the first time in our marriage and lived close to our families before the birth.
I went to the doctor a week after his due date and he checked me out, contractions were strong and regular, I was dilated to almost 3, said he'd see me tonight at the hospital! So I walked the mall, drove on bumpy roads, all that stuff. Then later that night, it all stopped. Start again the next day. Doc says "see you tonight." Stopped again. Repeat two more times.
Finally we decide to induce. Donnie was in a new job, so time off wasn't really available with pay, so I went in for the induction with my mom and we were going to call Donnie if things happened before he was done with work. A friend of mine who is a nurse came, also.
When things started going good Donnie came. I was a bit bored, so I asked him to go get me a crossword puzzle book. No problem, there are plenty of stores, Walmart, Target, grocery stores galore, if the hospital doesn't have something.
He doesn't come back. A couple of hours go by and we are starting to get worried, we're getting close here. Things are starting to hurt! He finally comes back. "Where the heck were you?!!!" "Oh, I went to my brother's so he could show me where to get a puzzle book, but he needed to take a bath before leaving. He doesn't have a shower in his apartment." WHAT???? Dead meat.
At this point the pain is making me tear up, so I asked the nurse for some pain killers in my iv. No prob, just had to check me first. Ok, I'm at 8cm, which is a long way from 10 for me. So she sits the bed up and heads out to get the shot. But before she gets back 10 minutes later I'm ready to push. So I tell her not to give me the shot, I'm ready to go. "No, I just checked you." "This is my 4Th child, I know when I need to push." And she put it in my IV when I told her not to. I insisted that I am going to push, so she very angrily checks me again. I'm at 10. "Wait for the doctor to get here before you push." Seriously.
I asked her with the evil look that goes along with complete ire (not to mention the mascara that ran from my tears leaving large black marks under my eyes) I'm pushing anyways. So she says to her nurseling to go call the ER doc because "she's going to push anyways" like I'm an inconvenience having a baby in the BABY delivery wing!
She keeps telling me to wait. UGH! So I asked her if she had ever delivered a baby. (she hadn't had any of her own yet) And she gets all high and mighty "Of course!" so I said "Well, then, CATCH." And I kept pushing.
The ER doc makes it in and delivers the head. Then my doctor shows up. Its been all of 7 minutes at this point. My doc delivered the baby in his nice clothes and tie! No time for scrubs. He announces "Its a boy!" I'm thinking of course its a boy, then I realize we didn't know the sex of the baby, hehe. I just knew. God supplies all the clothes needed, and none of it was girly.
Cody Phillip Allen was born. He weighed 7lbs 5oz and was 19 1/2 inches long.
Oh, and Donnie's brother does have a place with a shower now. But Donnie hasn't lived this one down. Hopefully the nurse learned something because I reported her for giving me the meds against my wishes and causing Cody problems. The nurse friend who was with me was furious at the nurse and encouraged me to report her.

2 people think my kids are qtpies:

yofed said...

Wow!!! What a man!!! And what a nurse! You must have been SO mad once the pain of labour had passed!!! :)

And congrats on convincing your husband to abandon the idea of a vasectomy... it's not easy... I'm going through it right now... Hopefully, I'll manage to talk him out of it!

Staci said...

Donnie's brother and the shower.... oooo, I would have had a fit! What a great story!