ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 20, 2007

Yesterday's bomb threat

Yesterday I was at church for our Mom's of Munchkins group, and it was really nice to have 4 new women! One had never been to our church, and one had only been when she was in youth group.
As we were cleaning up our pastor came downstairs and told me that the middle school was in lock down because of a bomb threat. I freaked! Devon is in that school! But he quickly assured me that they had taken the kids out of the school and put them across town. They got the threat and locked the kids in the building until it was cleared to leave. I'm not sure I get that one, umm, if its a real bomb, shouldn't they get the heck out of there? But, my child was safe, so I didn't go run down and get him out of the church he was at. He would NOT have thought that was cool, lol.
Apparently it was a kid at the school, but I don't know when we'll ever get the details. The school didn't even send home a note about it. My dd's school sent home a note that they had been in lock-down because they didn't want the kids to see the emergency vehicles going to the middle school, so until it was over they kept the kids in the building.

I don't understand why people want to "copycat" stuff like this? I hear its happening all over the place. I feel sorry for the kid. Was he joking around and never meant for it to get to the school officials? Was he trying to get attention? Did he mean for it to be that big? Either he needs help or he's in a whole lotta trouble for not using his brain. Poor kid.

The weird thing is that for most of my childrens' lives they were homeschooled. But in the few years that they have been in public school, this is the second school evacuation we've been through. The other was some threat on a teacher's voicemail at the younger elementary school.

Makes me wonder why on earth am I letting my kids leave the house? Are they going to end up that messed up? Are they going to end up hurt by someone? I keep trusting God. I gave them all to God, and I know He loves them more than I ever could and He will bring them to the path He wants them to follow. Its out of my control, but not out of God's. And it is better that way. Afterall, I don't want God to be my co-pilot, I want Him to be the pilot!

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

JAM said...

Ah, the joys of parenthood. And I used to LOVE fire drills and bomb threats when I was a kid, we got out of class. What did I know, I was just a kid.

But now people really do bomb stuff.

Your final paragraph says it all perfectly though. It's really in His hands.

Toni said...

>>>Afterall, I don't want God to be my co-pilot, I want Him to be the pilot!<<<

And that's the bottom line. What has God placed on your heart regarding your children's education? If it is to send them off to school, do it with the confidence that God goes where you cannot. God's plans are higher than your own. And nothing (nothing) catches Him by surprise as it might us. It's such a big, sinful fallen world out there. Even if we homeschool, they will eventually find themselves in the midst of it (not a very comforting thought, I know).
Blessings,
~Toni~

Mom Tu-Tu said...

Very scary! I'm glad everything turned out O.K.