ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

May 19, 2007

$25 and a Migraine


Every summer our town has a free Christian concert for the youth/teens. This year the Super Chicks (Superchicks??) are coming. In order to make this free, there has to be lots of fund raising. Tonight another church held a spaghetti dinner and auction at our church. Donnie and Drew ran the technical stuff, so we all decided to go.
I saw this quilt and really, really hoped I could win the bid with the $20 I had brought with me. Our gym has halogen lights that give me migraines. I sat there for a couple of hours between eating and waiting for this quilt to come up for bid.
Do you KNOW how hard it is to figure out what the auctioneer is saying? I was scared to bid, not knowing if I was going to be bidding my life away, lol. I talked Donnie into bidding for me when the quilt finally came up for bid, and my migraine was coming on strong.
No one bid until he went down to $15 and Donnie started bidding, (fifteen, twentytwentytwentytwenty, fifteen, twentytwentytwenty) someone went to $20, dang, that was my limit. (Twenty, give me twenty-five, 252525252525) Donnie thought about it and at the last second bid $25 and it was mine! Along with the migraine.
The back is actually a dark purple, not blue.
And the auction brought in over $4000, the dinner around $1000, and the matching funds from the Lutheran something or other was $1600! Almost $7000 in one night! Oh, and there was actually an item that the auctioneer had NEVER auctioned before, and didn't quite know how to describe to a church audience. Someone donated 10 free arms. Mmmhmmm. What on earth???? Someone asked him to explain that. LOL Apparently someone wanted to donate something, but the only thing or talent he had was artificial insemination of cows. So, umm, he's going to donate 10 times of putting his arm to check for pregnancy, is what was said, but I think it was possibly for the insemination, not the checking, lol. It went for $100.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

Ang said...

Oh, what a fun concert that will be!! Great group, great message, and such a positive role model for teens!! Love the blanket!

Anonymous said...

OK... it has been TOO long since my last visit! hehe Love the quilt. Glad your husband went the extra $5 for you! Uhm, arms... uh, yeah! LOL
Love those 2 karaoke songs.
I could not agree with you more on the schooling debate. I am so tired of this being a debate amongst the people who shouldn't be debating. Sometimes plenty of Christians seem unchristian to me... THAT'S why I'm glad I don't have a say in the final judging!
I've been meaning to check out the blogging 101 thing... think it has answers for wordpress (although, they do a really good job of answering all of their own questions, just never thought any other WP'er had ever questioned about changing the "comment" phrase... I think that is cool!).
Have a great week!
Oh, by the way... I have soaking wet hair and am not dressed and I need to pick up my son in about 20 minutes... yours is my first blog stop... wonder if I'll make it on time?

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty quilt- sorry about the migraine...ug!

And Superchick is a great band! I didn't realize they were still touring. Cool for you guys!

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

That is so awesome that you raise money for the teens to have a concert! What a super idea. I am so glad you got the quilt you wanted and so sorry you got a migraine!

Pam