ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

May 17, 2007

Things I need to blog/rant about

I have things I want to blog about, but I either don't have the time to do it justice, or I forget, or my camera cord is missing so I can't get the pic up.

There is a homeschooling vs. public/private schooling debate going on at another blog. I just don't agree with the ideas being said. I'm a lover of homeschooling. I do think it is the "best" way to teach your children, maybe the "ideal" way, after all, public school is actually a relatively NEW idea in the history of the world. But to say that God expects all Christians to do it is a stretch, not just a stretch, but a huge stumbling block and a lie.

I've been called to home school, and I've been released of the responsibility. By God. Because it is the better road does not mean that God calls everyone to it. Not every Christian is called to never use birth control or family planning. God designed breastfeeding, but Christian moms are not wrong or lazy for not doing it. God calls us each to our own "destiny" that is laid out before us by God Himself. Not by someone who says that God told them to do it, so everyone has to do it.

There are certainly tons of verses about teaching your children, but they are all about teaching them about God, not about academics. How God uses scripture to lead us to our own paths is up the Holy Spirit, but it is not for everyone. Didn't God say to train up each child in the way HE should go, not they way He told you your child should go?

I don't expect everyone to home school. I don't expect everyone to refuse vaccines. I don't expect everyone to leave their child intact, not circumsizing. (misspelled for obvious reasons) I don't expect everyone to give up all family planning control to the Lord. I don't expect everyone to be missionaries. Not everyone is going to be called to do the same things, or everyone would be a preacher and there would be no flock.

I think it is appropriate to point out the benefits of homeschooling and to encourage others to pray about it. It is not appropriate to assume that they are not walking in God's will if they are not led by God to do it. To cause a stumbling block like that in a person's life, to lead them to do your will rather than God's, that is just sin. Plain and simple.

I don't care if you feel that it is the right path, it doesn't mean you need to tell everyone that they are wrong. If you feel a brother is sinning you should point it out. Schooling is not a sin issue. Samuel was given over to be schooled away from his mother at 4 years old. God does not find that sinful. It was what was right for Samuel. It was not unheard of, either. God would not have accepted him in that position if he was supposed to stay with his mommy to school. Or at least not used that story to teach people through His Word.

Whew, rant over!
Hopefully I have time to locate my camera cord and can blog about my Mother's Day gift, its a doosie of a story!

13 people think my kids are qtpies:

Keri said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading this post. I have similar views on homeschooling vs public/private schools. My brother and his wife chose homeschooling, starting w/the 1st of their 4 kids. It didn't go so well after kid 2 and kid 3 reached school age. Yes, they are smart and good students and at or above grade level for their ages. Yes, they learned 100% more about Scripture and Biblical studies than they would have "in school." But they suffered for reasons that I probably shouldn't detail here. Suffice it to say that the mom couldn't handle the stress and workload of educating them and their home. Before the "crisis" occurred there, they had joined a homeschooling "co-op", set in a church and with other homeschooling families. It allows for "full-time" (which is not full-time, but still) to part-time (which allows the kid to come to the classes they offer that are not easily accomplished at home).

My kindergartener attends a local public school. She will stay there until something drastic happens within that school district or I'm called by God to do otherwise.

The main differences between my brother's kids and my own is the school system. Brother lives in MUCH larger town with a VERY different school system and the dynamics that come with that. Our school system, while not tiny, is a rare find. A small town with GREAT resources and sufficient funds. I'm not "afraid" for my children to attend school there for the same reasons my brother and family is afraid.

However, my spectator's seat on my brother's family's homeschooling experience is not all positive. I wish it were different. I wish I thought that his kids were socially mature. They're not. I hope they're able to make good judgment calls. I'm afraid they won't. I pray they can live in the world without being worldly. I trust they can.

But there are soooo many things that they aren't learning that, while those things are difficult and painful, are just life in a sinful world. And many of those things can't be learned from a book or vicariously from a "don't you do the same" kind of story told by parents. Many of those things simply must be learned first-hand or close second-hand. And I doubt they're learning those things.

Sure, I want to protect my children JUST AS MUCH as my brother does. I just think that my children must learn some things themselves.

For me, I guess, it's a thing about being "in the world, not of it." ya know?

Anyway, this was too long, but I appreciated your insights. And I always enjoy reading your other posts.

Have a great weekend!

Carina said...

Thanks for understanding that one person's calling isn't another person's. It's so easy to decide, once we've done a difficult thing, that everyone else must do it too.

yofed said...

I followed that "blog-war" too... Although I did not agree with many of the things that were said, I found it... how can I say... interresting, to see how people interpret the scriptures a way I had not thought about before... it was also a good learning experience to see all these people trying to insult each other politely ;)

MGM said...

THANK YOU! I'm pretty sure I read the same blog you are talking about, and I was appalled! It may have been the same blog that went on a soap box holier than thou feeling rant about how women are not supposed to be formally employed. It's that kind of "Christian" attitude that oppresses the rest of us, and I tell ya what, if I weren't already a solid Christian, it would be just the thing that would convince me I didn't want to be, either.

Jackie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Whew! Glad I could stop by when you're blogging something light and breezy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am not religious to the extent that you are but I like your points about not making all children go through the same type of education and not imposing one's will on another. Hope the rest of the week is lighter!

MorningSong said...

This is my 2nd visit to your blog. I have to say I agree whole heartedly with this post!! I am so sick of 'Christians' taking up their cross and when they see another doing it differently they assume the other is in sin. We are all called to the path God has called us to. Most of the time, God shows us what He wants US to do and we then try to impose it on others without truly learning/growing in what God has called us to. We try to become the Holy Spirit to everyone doing it different than us. Satan sure does use the Christian way more than he should. IF we could only see what we do before we cause others to think our God is a joke by our insane behavior. Are we light? Are we drawing others TO God in love? Are others better off for knowing/meeting us? Or are we such hypocrits that we do more harm in the name of our Savior than good? It makes my heart sad! God help us! God forgive us!! Show us how to show your LOVE to others and show us how to stop our judgment of others!

alisonwonderland said...

very well said! thanks for your voice of reason and your heart of compassion!

Toni said...

LOL to Jackie's comment above.

>>I think it is appropriate to point out the benefits of homeschooling and to encourage others to pray about it. It is not appropriate to assume that they are not walking in God's will if they are not led by God to do it.<<<

I couldn't agree more. Though I have to add, the concerns over "socialization" are so largely warped. I'll not climb on that soapbox, other than to say placing children with 25 other children all the same age, inside 4 concrete walls for 6 hours a day, is hardly "real life" socialization. 'Nuff said.
Blessings,
~Toni~

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. Both homeschool and public/private school have their place. No one way is right for everyone.

Same with breastfeeding. I breastfed both my daughters for a year each, but it was the hardest thing I've ever done (we had issues) and many times I would have liked to just give up. I refuse to look down on women who don't breastfeed. You don't know their reasons. Some may have valid reasons for not breastfeeding, some don't. It isn't our place to judge.

Kat said...

I would love to homeschool and would be good at it, however its not what God wants me to do. I'm needed teaching many and I will help my son too. Great post!

Ang said...

Thank you for venting on the whole 'blogwar' that was going on. I too read it, started to comment back many times... but I didn't, I don't think that I could write how I feel so nicely or completely. You did a good job explaining why homeschooling ISN'T for everyone! Hopefully, I'm praying, someone didn't turn their back on becoming a "Christian" because of the 'if you're not homeschooling, you're sinning mentality."

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I recently posted on being quiverful and thought you might enjoy my blog.