ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

June 20, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #22


Thirteen Things about Lisa
13 reasons I need a job



1. I have 7 kids. Kids are expensive! We are pretty frugal about buying new clothes and things, but it still adds up.
2. We made a blunder on our mortgage payment LAST JUNE and they "just" figured it out and are expecting us to pay up on their mistake, which we thought was fixed.
3. Our dryer died. (hanging clothes is actually great for my cloth diapers, but I will need it by winter)
4. Our fridge is dying and/or dead. Seems dead, but I heard it start running a little bit ago. The water dripping out of the freezer from the melting ice was a big indicator, though. (AFTER I posted this, the fridge started running, and now the freezer is running great! Go figure!)
5. Our roof leaks when it rains hard, just the flat part of our roof, but it needs to be replaced, and now the ceiling needs fixing, too.
6. A shingle blew off the sloped part of our roof this week. I'm guessing that means that part of the roof needs replacing, too.
7. Property taxes. They keep raising them!
8. Insurance. Homeowners is expensive all at once, and between us having 3 vehicles and two teen drivers, well, you can imagine its close to half our mortgage! Drew alone is $1600 a year.
9. The Geo needs some work. A new muffler. Find out why it overheats sometimes but not others. Why does it shake when we go over 35mph?
10. Donnie is going to need a new commuter car soon, but thankfully his car will be paid off in a few months.
11. Sports. I want the kids in more sports and activities, but I just can't swing it. $90 for one sport, $120 for that one, and then multiply that by the 5 kids in school. Well, how do I pick which kids I love more than others and let them join and fooey on the rest? Or do I just deny them all? Devon NEEDS it because it seems to help his brain injury, and even if that isn't what is going on, when he is in sports he is nicer to everyone, either because he isn't home, or because he comes home so tired he passes out, but either way he isn't picking on anyone.
12. Oh, we'd like to eat. Kids eat a lot. Even when you have rules about kids asking before they eat something, they eat me out of house and home without asking me.
13. The second computer needs a new processor and I hate sharing my computer with 6 kids! If we each ONLY get 2 hours a day on here, well that's 14 hours on the computer! We need another one by September when we'll have Cody in internet school all day. With 5 kids in school, they frequently need the internet for research, and if there aren't 2 computers, fights over whose homework is more important start.

And there you have it. Only 13 of the reasons I am turning in applications. Electricity and gas and water are nice, too. The price of gas for our cars is a factor, too.




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!





25 people think my kids are qtpies:

mistihollrah said...

I can relate! I don't have 7 children...4 busy children however & could use a job because of a lot of the reasons you listed!

Anonymous said...

Good reasons. And good luck finding a job!

byoc said...

You can add a 14th reason - your mom is broke and could use a loan - lol

Put the kids to work.

Crazy Working Mom said...

*LOL* Yup, I was gonna say put the kids to work...you could rent 'em out. :) Heh heh

Sorry to hear 'bout all of your troubles. They seem to all pile on at once, don't they. I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

Anonymous said...

Wow... What a whole lot to deal with at once! I'll be praying for you!

My twins helped me with my list this week... Come on by!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how can I survive if I have 7 children! Best wishes for your job hunting.

Julie said...

Well, holly molly, girl. You got a lot going on.

I have one tip. Some sports don't make you pay for all your kids or give you a big discount after the forth. In our town if you play soccer you only have to pay for three kids and any additonal kids pay for free.

Also if you have a Little League in your area all kids can play even if they can't pay. That is a little league rule (which they don't always advertise). Just ask to talk with the league secretary or president and they can usually take care of things for you.

Hope that helps.

Julie

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you are talking about.
We're almost to that point too.
My brakes just needed some work. We've fixed the leak, but that had a deductible. The kids DO eat alot.
For us this month it's been car registration that's killing us, and health insurance. We just replaced my washer,dryer, fridge, stove, microwave, and dishwasher all within a couple years. Chances are in another ten years, they will all go out at the same time too. So I'd stagger when you buy your appliances. And I'm sure you can understand this is just the tip of the iceberg!LOL!
Loved your list. I hope you find a job, and just know, that either next month or the month after that, I'll be job hunting just like you. :(
Take care. Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

If only you had a good reason, though ;)

Chelle Y. said...

I have one and he is expensive, so I cannot imagine having seven! Well, I'd love that many if I had the health. My best friend just had her seventh.

Oh, and with seven kids, you definitely need a new dryer! :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck, babe! And enjoy those kids!

Happy TT!

Cindy Swanson said...

I hear you! Running a household and raising a family mean never-ending financial needs. I hope you find the perfect job for you!

*Tanyetta* said...

perfect post! hope you find a job soon!

Angel The Alien said...

Man, I know the feeling! Do you do paid posts at all? I belong to PayPerPost for my personal blog, and about 5 other paid-to-post places for this blog... and it really does help! Usually about $5 per post, sometimes more... it sounds like chump change, but at the end of the month it REALLY adds up! Plus it makes you feel less guilty for spending time on the Internet!

Anonymous said...

wow 7 kids -- I am in awe. I can barely deal with one! :)

Thanks for stopping by my TT list. I feel the same way about diet coke - I don't think I'll ever be able to give it up totally.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Man, I wish I could offer more than best wishes for this job thing. I can't believe the mortgage company -- stay on them and make them fix THEIR mistake. It's theirs; they should eat the charges.

Hang in there. I hope something happens soon for you.

JAM said...

My Brother in Law always tells my sister, "Aren't you glad I was born handsome instead of rich?"

She just looks at him like, "I'd like to try rich about now."

Best wishes on the job hunt.

Tawnya Shields said...

I totally understand about the job situation and survival.I think everyone these days are in a pickle in one way or another. Best wishes on your job hunt.

Thanks for stopping by my TT. :o)

Norma said...

7 kids? You've got a job! Hope you find something.

Carina said...

Boy howdy, Lisa! You do need a job. What'll you do with Trinity and Sam, though? That's the tough part. Childcare is so expensive!

Mz Jackson said...

I completely relate! Good luck on your job hunt!

Anonymous said...

Lots of luck on the job hunting. What are you thinking of doing? There are some websites geared to stay at home moms and jobs you can do at home, such as this one http://www.wahm.com/ or this one
http://www.homewiththekids.com/

I hear you on the budgeting. I only have three boys but it seems our food bill goes up every month. I can't imagine feeding as many mouths as you do. All the best to you and your family.

Jackie said...

We must have been twins separated at birth. We're going through similar issues with money and trying to make it all work with a large family. God provides, though, every time.

alisonwonderland said...

good luck with the job search! what kind of job are you looking for?

PJ said...

Best of luck with the job hunting.