ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

July 31, 2007

Am I normal?

*Update at that bottom*
I'm using this picture because Kaytlin reads my blog and won't find it funny, lol. (ok, I just answered my own question!)

Kaytlin just left my house with Donnie on her way to the airport. She is flying from Minnesota to Boston with a layover. I had a hard time sleeping because I kept thinking of all the things I needed to tell her about traveling alone. Or just being in the world alone.

Don't go somewhere that is empty, don't stand by a door, don't go with a security officer or airport employee alone, insist that they get another employ to accompany them. You know, things to keep her safe. And then I taught her about getting away, like keeping her phone in her pants so it goes with her in case she's put in a trunk. (they'd throw her purse most likely) And if she is being drug off or something to scream "Fire" because that is what will get people to move fast. And to get away by stomping on the foot, kicking the shins, kneeing the groin and headbutting or smashing the nose with the heel of her hand, which she says is called a "pootong" or something, lol.
Whew. I didn't want to scare the p00 out of her, but I want her safe and to have the best chance possible. I've gone through with both her and Devon about airport safety, Devon I told not to go in an empty bathroom or one with only one person in it. (I've heard one too many stories) We've told them to head straight for their next gate, then check to be sure it is correct with an employee before sitting down or finding a store to browse in. Never leave your bags anywhere. Don't take candy from strangers.
What am I forgetting????
How can I send my baby off on a plane!!????!!! By herself?? She's only 16! Its not that she isn't very responsible, because she is. And she is very smart and capable of getting through the airport. Its that she is my child and I can't protect her from the world. I want her to keep her innocence, you know? She is tough and can handle a lot. But I'm her mom!

Ok, She belongs to the Lord. Not me. Nothing is going to happen to her outside of the Will of God and for His glory. We and she can handle it.
All better!
Have fun Mom! Take care of my baby! (oh, and thanks for the push you gave me the other day, it paid off!)

*Update
Kaytlin called from St. Louis airport and she made it to her layover and to her next gate with no problems and even did some comparison shopping and found a bottle of water that didn't cost $2.50! She refused to pay that much for water! I'm so proud! My husband gave her money, so why is she so frugal with it you may ask? Because he told her that whatever she has left when she gets home she can put toward her new guitar.

6 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

You are sending her to my neck of the woods and didn't tell me? What is she in town for? I don't remember reading where she was going, but maybe I missed it. I guess I should go back and check.

Anonymous said...

I just saw you link to "Mom", so I will go with the assumption that she is spending time with Grandma in Maine eating lobster. (grin!)

MGM said...

Either you are SO NORMAL or I am SO WACKED right with you!

Well, maybe I'm a little over the edge. If I weren't planning to homeschool, I would probably be writing this in preparation to send my baby to Kindergarten. Ha!

This would be the exact message I would be writing if I were in your shoes!

Peace be with you!

Carrie said...

I'm sure she'll have a great trip- sounds like you're doing pretty well too :) When I moved to Ukraine when I was 23, my dad was forbidden from mentioning my trip or me in general after 9 PM to my mom, or else she'd lie awake and think about it and not sleep :)

Thanks for your comments on my blog about childbirth/childrearing- I appreciate the input!

byoc said...

it's a putock, not a pootong!! wow. Just ask drew.
love, kaytlin

Julie said...

What a good girl she is comparising shopping for water. I love that.

Hope she has a great time!

ps. You are not weird!