ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

July 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen~ Dental nightmare

Thirteen things that happened at my routine cleaning at the dentist today. Or 13 reasons I am going to be drunk next time I go to the dentist!
I thought I was going to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned because I couldn't get it finished after the x-rays last time and the hygienist made it sound like that would be my next appointment. I am a complete puddle of mush when it comes to going to the dentist. I am frightened silly, and I won't go until its so painful that its better to risk the dentist than live with the pain. I was traumatized by a military dentist years ago.
1. I sit down in the chair and the hygienist says "Ok, we're going to get those cavities on the bottom left filled today." I say "Um, oh no we are not!" And we sort of go back and forth on what I expected and what they actually scheduled. I most definitely would have cancelled if I had known!
2. They bring me into the financing office because I am crying and making a scene and because I say there is no way I can afford it this month. They talk me into doing it now and paying later since I'm already here. I'm pretty much crying uncontrollably, but they talk me into one tooth.
3. Then they come back in and tell me they may as well do the other two since I will be numb already. This brings it up from the $50 tops they were saying, and I do NOT want to rack up debt. (I have three kids going to the orthodontist already this month!)
4. Ok, fine, I sit in the chair, all the while the tears won't stop. But we numb me up. This is at 2:20pm. Appt. was for 2pm.
5. After I am numb they get started on the first cavity, which is kind of deep. It hurts as they are working on it, but not bad enough that I want to get another shot.
6. They start on the next tooth's cavity. Oh boy, this one hurts, I gotta say something. Ok, more Novocaine and waiting for it to work. More crying.
7. They get back to work. I still feel it, but I'm not going to say anything! I'm gripping the chair so tight that I am left shaking.
8. They put a weird contraption in my mouth which holds two long, rolled up pieces of gauze in my mouth on either side of my teeth. I have a BAD gag reflex, so this was FUN. And it clamps in there. Oh, the shaking continues from being so tense all over waiting for the agonizing pain to start like the military dentist did to me.
9. They put some sort of metal ring around my tooth, it feels like that, anyways. It bends, they have to do it two more times.
10. They fill the cavities, and they rise the stuff out because my gums won't stop bleeding. My gums don't normally bleed, so I have NO idea what they did to cause that. But they spent 10 minutes putting stuff in my gums to get it to stop so they could finally put the fillings in both teeth.
11. Then they go to extract a bad tooth. It hurts, but again, its gotta be over soon, and I just want to leave. They start cutting and pulling, and piece by piece it falls apart. I'm starting to cry again at this point. They can't get the roots out. I have to go to an oral surgeon NOW, and its 3:45pm.
12. I run out to the oral surgeon who agreed to fit me in at the end of the day on a moments notice. And as I wait there, hoping that they take my crappy MetLife insurance that almost nobody takes, they tell me I have to pay right then or they won't do it. I can't do it today, I expected a free cleaning, not to spend a month's paycheck! So, finally they agree to a postdated a check, and they do take our insurance.
13. The surgeon asks if I am still numb and I say I think so, but she thinks she should give me some more. I'm thinking she wants $$$. She gives me the shot and oh man does it HURT!!! I'm so glad she did that! That makes 3 numbings in less than 2 hours. And when she does to get the roots out she tells me to close my eyes before she brings out the tool she is going to use. Like I'm not crying again???? And it HURT!!! But it was over in a minute. And then they had to lay the bed back and let me get over the crying and shaking and light headedness before they let me up.
I was shaking so bad I could barely sign the check. And I was pretty scared to drive. And I definitely was thinking about getting drunk when I got out of there! I don't drink hardly ever, but I'm pretty sure I will be drinking before going in again!







25 people think my kids are qtpies:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh. Oh. Oh. What a nightmare. I am so not going to the dentist ever again! Okay, maybe not, but still... HUGS!

Anonymous said...

oh my ... that is indeed terrible!!!
take care!

Lori said...

I soooooooooo hate going to the dentist!! Happy TT.

Unknown said...

Oooooh *OUCH*
I feel for you! Guess who I will meet tomorrow... my denist *shudder*

KarenW said...

I don't even want to talk about the dentist. I need to go . . . ugh! Sorry you had a hard time.

byoc said...

Again, you don't take after me - I really don't mind going to the dentist - other than the cost. Sorry it was so traumatic for you. Glad you stayed with it though.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa! I almost cried when I read this. I have such issues with getting dental work done... I could totally picture the entire scene. I'm so sorry this happened to you! I'm not one for alcohol, but I wouldn't blame you for getting drunk.

Suprina said...

How terrible.
I hate going to the dentist.

The Gal Herself said...

I cannot believe they made you make decisions about your health and your finances on the spot like that. Shame on them! I'm fortunate in that dental pain doesn't really bother me. But Met Life's dental plan sure has caused me pain, too. If they give you grief, just have your dentist keep resubmitting and resubmitting. Eventually, you just may wear them down. (BTW, I have a dentist's appt. Saturday morning, and I'll be thinking of you!)

Mimi said...

My gosh, I would totally have freaked out and probably been screaming at people. You poor thing, I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Samantha & Mom said...

Wow, what a terrible experience!! We hope you don't have to go back soon. Mom hates dentists, too.
Your FL furiends,
Samantha & Tigger

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Ugh! I couldn't even get through the post it unnerved me so much! Thank goodness it's over!

http://amyszoo.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

You poor thing. That sounds like the worst dentist visit ever. I would still be crying. Maybe next time you should get a DD and drink before you go, he he.

J. Lynne said...

That was just wrong that they bullied you! Shame on them! I hope you feel better!

Happy tt anyway.

Anonymous said...

That is terrible. I hope you are feeling better soon. Probably will feel a bit better, then you will get the bill. A good stiff drink might just help the next time but probably isn't a good idea with the other stuff they give you. Glad you made it through your appointment. Happy TT anyway.

Perri Nelson said...

I hate going to the dentist too.
The last time I went turned into a six-month ordeal, finally resulting in major oral surgery to remove a benign tumor in my upper jaw.

We didn't find out it was benign until weeks after the operation. All that time and I was worried I had bone cancer.

I HATE dentists.

Lyn said...

Ugh. Dentists. :-) Lyn from Bloggin' Outloud

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor girl!!! It isn't always like that...honest. I am so sorry that it was such a traumatic experience for you. I feel so bad for you.

Homemom3 said...

oooh, I dread the dentist, he likes to take my teeth. Military tends to like things cheaper and that is cheaper than a root canal. Eeek! Happy TTing. Hope ya feel better.

Anonymous said...

My eyes grew wider and wider with each number on this post. I am scared of going to the dentist as well and I hate hate HATE being numb. Shots don't work well on me either.
I had to get 7 shots before they could pull my wisdom teeth out. 5 before they started working on me and 2 as they were trying to uproot them.

alisonwonderland said...

besides all that, how was your day? hehehe. (poor thing!)

Carina said...

Oh! I hate, hate, hate going to the dentist too. Yuck! Hope you recovered! =)

Jackie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! You poor thing! That is just awful!
When you said you had an experience with a military dentist, I just had to cringe...my mother has a story of her own with a military dentist- he took her tooth out-did a root canal on it, and then put it back in! Aack!
I hope you never have to go through anything like that again!

Mrs. O said...

Next time take a valium and have someone drive you there - it's totally worth it. It will cut your anxiety a lot and clears out of your system pretty quickly. I'm sorry you had such a horrible afternoon.