ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

August 26, 2007

How do you ever get ahead??

I know that we are always going to be broke while we have kids in the house, but how do you make it when you keep getting further and further and further behind? It is one thing after another, and sometimes you just can't let it go.
Like the vehicles. We have to have a vehicle. We have to have two because Donnie works so far away, and we need something that is big enough to hold us all, which would be bad for a commuter vehicle.
We get the vehicles all working, and then we even got them paid off! That's a big chunk of change we have in each paycheck now! But I don't know where it is, we are still broke, broke. I can't figure out how we made it with two car payments and full coverage.
Then the windshields in not one, but TWO of the vehicles are broken. One has glass coverage, but the other doesn't.
The power steering went out in Donnie's work car. Gotta fix that.
The dryer died in the beginning of summer. OK, I'll use the line for the summer and fix it in the fall when we sell our investments. Well, the investments are completely taken up with other major bills.
The roof needs to be replaced, but we can't even see a time in the future when that will happen.
The dishwasher doesn't work right, it runs, but the dishes come out dirtier than they went in. I have literally washed each dish before putting them in there and they came out dirty.
Today, I went in the basement to switch the laundry, and there was smoke in there. The washer is out now. And I use cloth diapers. And I have 7 kids.
The freezer portion of our fridge does not keep ice cream solid, though it does keep meat frozen, so we think that is dying.
And when the power was "accidentally" shut off last week, something happened to our furnace or A/C, because it doesn't work anymore. We have to have a furnace in a couple of months.
So, I MUST fix the washer, dryer, furnace, and the windows in the vehicles. They are not optional. The fridge will eventually force us into doing something, but hopefully will hold out.

I know that this stuff is minor. I mean, it could be really bad, it could be a child hurt, or a death or serious illness. I have the perspective in the right place. But I just don't know how it could get better. The more we work, the more our income grows, the more we pay things off, the worse things are getting.
It is enough to make me wonder if God wants us homeless or something. I know that God wants only the best for us, not to harm us, its not that. Its like, are we missing something and God is letting things go until we get it?
There is nothing we can do to change things, we can't control things breaking down. Budgeting and cutting back, etc, yes, but these things that are hitting us left and right are not things we have any control over.
I need to really pray and seek God's heart and be sure that there isn't something I need to deal with.

8 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Qtpie :P,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry you live so far away from WA state. We have an older but reliable van which I would love for you to have. Five of our children have grown up and moved away, so we no longer really need a 15-passenger van. I wish I could help! You sound so discouraged!
your Christian sister,
Joyce

Carina said...

Reminds me of the old phrase. When it rains it pours. I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. I know you've got the right attitude and perspective about it, but have you considered this? You are working hard for God, and following his will, and Satan is trying to wear you down. It's easy to turn to God in the big crises, but it's hard when the little things start to pile up. Maybe this means you're already on the right track, and the devil's trying to derail you.

Paul certainly never had it easy. Remember his list of woes? But it wasn't because he had sin in his life or wasn't following God's will. It's because as a mighty man of God, Paul was a threat to the kingdom of darkness.

Jessica said...

I know where you are coming from on this one! Sometimes I think my only choice is to win the lottery...and I wasn't the big winner last night, so it's back to the rat race. I'll keep you in my prayers. I know it can be rough!

Mrs. Stam said...

Wow sound like my house too! But it's when we are in these situation that we see the mighty hand of God working at it's best!

He is a wonderful provider!!!!!

if you have any question on how we manage our budget with almost nothing e mail me
have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa, I know what you mean...we're in pretty much the same boat, it can be very discouraging...I just know things have to get better though.

If it helps, we have two extra (20-30 yr old but WORKING)washing machines, and you're certainly welcome to come and get one.
Just let me know...

Hang in there, and keep on "trusting in the Lord...(Proverbs 3:5-6)"...that's what I'm trying to do.

Oh, and had we known about the van in WA state, we could have drove it home for you...we just came from there a few days ago! Never mind, we couldn't have afforded the gas to get it back here...Oh well.

Kris said...

I feel your pain...neverending, isn't it?

Just remember, GOD doesn't want you homeless, and it's Satan stealing your joy. Perspective, perspective, perspective.

And just know, you guys are much loved!

Jackie said...

I feel a strong kinship to you, Lisa. We definitely have a lot of the same struggles and our finacial struggles are right there with you. Here's the thing, though. I'm betting that this isn't the first time your family has been in some kind of money bind because it isn't the first time our family has been in a money bind either.

Each time it feels like the world is caving in. We get really anxious. My husband and I try to figure out what bills absolutely HAVE to be paid. There have been a number of times when I just look at the numbers and say, "Okay, God, how in the world are You going to get us out of THIS one?"

Yet He does. Again and again. Frankly, I'm feeling yet again that God's really got His hands full with our current financial situation. I'm really anxious. I would really love for a few hundred thousand dollars to come falling out of the sky, but it doesn't work that way.

In the meantime, I try to be obedient to His will and I remain thankful for His blessings. And the blessings, my friend, they are so many when we have some many precious children. Expensive, yet priceless!

Anonymous said...

I totaly understand... things are chaotic here too... more wrong than there is funds to fix 'em