ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

August 27, 2007

Nursing woes.

I know, I'm a downer this week, right?


Last week, or was it the week before? Anyways, Sam is a very busy boy during the day, and eating is not very high on his priorities list. OK, I should rephrase that, nursing isn't high on his priority list, eating everything fits in his mouth is a priority, and he does try almost any food we give him. However, since he hasn't really eaten enough during the day to keep him stocked up on energy, he nurses through the night.

One night last week or the week before I woke up at 5am screaming in pain. He had bit me HARD. Oh, my gosh, the pain! I left him with his dad and I went and tried to sleep on the couch through the throbbing, searing pain in my nipple. Donnie can deal with the little delinquent!

Ever since then it has hurt horribly to nurse him on that side. I think I should be past that pain now, but I'm not, I have to hold him in the football hold to be able to nurse him on that side. His little teeth are like razor blades scraping against me!

I was talking to Donnie about it and thought he should make an invention out of silicon that we can put over Sam's teeth while he's nursing, like a mouth guard, but not so bulky. It won't protect from the biting, but would help the sharpness and scraping of the teeth.

I was at my friend Jody's last night doing my laundry since my washer died (I have great news on that front!) and I was telling her about that invention. So she says she has a nursing shield I can have to try to use with Sam. Oh, cool! I have never seen one in my 18 years of breastfeeding.

I get home and Sam wants to nurse, so I figure that thing out and get it on right, you have to keep the silicone flap away from his nose, I think. (its that "contact" one in the pic)

I go to let Sam latch on, and it is weird, but he tries a couple of times, we adjust it. And then.....



My nipple became a chew toy.

6 people think my kids are qtpies:

Kris said...

ouch.

I've never been able to nurse, but I've wondered about that pain...usually when I've got a baby yanking on a bottle nipple and pulling to see how far it stretches before it goes "pop".

ouch again.

Mrs. Stam said...

I use the sheild too bacause Rebekah has the bad habbit of pulling but still griping to my nipple after a while the irritation was so bad that I had to get one. and did it decreased my milk supply no! it work very well for us!

Carina said...

Oh man, that's rough!

Pain would be exactly the reason I didn't make it past four months nursing both of my little delinquents. They never had teeth while I was nursing them, but wow the pain. I couldn't take it. In fact, that's one of the primary reasons I'm scared to have another one. Ugh.

MGM said...

Yow! I never had any trouble nursing my daughter. I don't even remember her biting me ever. She nursed for 13 months, and I cried when it was over. Though part of me was also relieved to be done. Working-even part time-was always interesting as long as I was nursing.

Son, one the other hand, was like nursing a shop vac from day one. Fortunately he was late to get teeth! From the first time he nursed he would latch on, suck down all he could get at record speed, and 10 minutes later be completely done. He was a very aggressive nurser and would yank my nipples out so hard that I was in constant pain. When I got a clogged milk duct and he went at it even more aggressively because the milk wouldn't come out, the pain and misery reached new levels. The day he pulled off and I wiped blood from his chin (My blood. That came out of MY nipple), that was the beginning of the end. We had to be done of the entire thing, and it happened by the end of 7 months. Fortunately he did not get teeth until 8 months. He would have loved the chew toy apparatus. Me? Not so much!

Anonymous said...

Ouch and to funny too! Been there done that.

Anonymous said...

OH ouch!!!!
My daughter hasn't got any teeth yet but lately she's been biting lightly with her gums at the end of the nursing session. That's is irritating enough.