ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

August 31, 2007

Why God put me on this planet....

God put me on this planet to embarass my teenagers!

I do my best to fulfill my God-given role. Yesterday I took the boys school clothes shopping. Again, we went to Plato's Closet. Devon and Drew grabbed some clothes and headed for the changing rooms. Drew is too hard to embarrass in public, he has to be around friends. But Devon, he is easy. He comes out in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. We don't know for sure what size he is, so I ask him if he is sure they fit. (I have to do this, years of jeans hanging half off his butt have mandated it) He says they fit fine. So I lift his shirt in the front, he pulls it down and tells me they fit. He turns to leave and I grab the back of the shirt and say "Let me see how it fits in the butt." There is a line for the dressing rooms, lol. He gets a little feisty and insists that he can figure out if a pair of pants fit him without my help and shuts the door on me. I turn around to the other mom and say "It is so much fun embarrassing them!" and she completely agrees, I can tell by her stifled giggles.
I kept it up with the other pair of pants, too!
We also had some embarrassing moments at Target, but he would kill me if I repeated that. But just after that was done we are walking towards the underwear and Drew points out a big novel entitled "The Quickie" which is about what it sounds like, judging by the apparently nude people on the cover.
I discuss the weird and inappropriateness of him pointing it out, and Devon says "Umm, whats really weird is the fact that the book is called "The Quickie" but is two inches thick." Ironic, isn't it?

Kaytlin is easy to embarrass, too. I just have to be around for that to happen. But what I really like to do is get on her IM when she leaves it up and her friends start talking to her. I tell them things like "I'm so pretty!" and I have really fun conversations with Drew's friends, but he doesn't get embarrassed, I think it is because his friends think we are so funny and cool because of it. I changed the name on Drew's IM to "I'm a Loser, Love me anyway" and he thought it was funny and left it up!

I'm working hard to fulfill my duty to embarrass them, but Drew is a tough one. Any ideas? He doesn't even mind the nudie baby pics, so that doesn't work. He even gives me permission to tell the goofy things he did when he was little.

7 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

Drew sounds like a very nice guy. I mean, not getting easily embarrassed by Mom.

My feelings got so hurt the first time I encountered one of the children being embarrassed by me, because I just love my children and love being with them.

I can understand the embarrassment, though. It has something to do with becoming more independent, wanting to be more responsible for oneself, and wanting to be considered an adult rather than a child.

You are so funny, though! You take it so good-naturedly.

Have fun shopping with those kiddos!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found you. Through TT, no less! I really enjoy your blog...your family seems like such a fun group! My 13YO son gets embarrassed easily, so I don't have any suggestion about how to embarrass your hard-to-embarrass boy. :-)

Jackie said...

Well, that just shows how well-rounded Drew is that he can deal with the embrassments of life so easily! Way to go, Drew!

Anonymous said...

You are so funny!! I bet you are one cool Mom and that's why they don't get mad at ya.

yofed said...

You're amazing! I can't wait to be able to embarass them... a few more years... ;)

Carina said...

Sounds like Drew has developed the perfect defense to embarrasment. If he pretends like he doesn't care, you'll give up on that tactic. Of course, then you'll look for more and more evil ways to embarass him.... hmm.

MGM said...

Okay. So I really laughed out loud about the whole "Quickie" book being two inches thick. Your boys are funny!