ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 16, 2007

Free Piano Lessons online

We want all of our kids to learn to play an instrument. Generally, it is best to start with the piano and move on from there if you want. Hope-Anne is our next child to learn piano, but affording lessons is so hard with our family size and all the activities that we have going on.
I found that there is a Piano Chords Blog that gives lessons free online. The author teaches about chords and chord progressions as well as things like music theory, transposition, modulation, improvisation and sheet music lessons. I really like that he has videos to actually let you see what you should be doing from a view that you would see if you were sitting at the keyboard. He talks you through the lesson while playing examples of what he is teaching.
The author does not just teach the basics, he also talks about all sorts of other aspects besides the actual playing, such as the elements of music: melody, harmony and rhythm .
Our keyboard is going to be moving into the living room for some much needed lessons at a price we can afford! I wonder if this will inspire some of the other kids to pick piano back up.

3 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anonymous said...

Great find Lisa!!

Scribbit said...

What a wild idea--I wonder how that would go over? Interesting!

MGM said...

Hope you find some value in this. However, I am really biased. My first bachelor's degree is in piano pedagogy and I have taught piano lessons for over 12 years, sometimes as a regular part time income and sometimes just on the side. Some things require instruction in person. The physical technique of piano is one of them, in my opinion. You can learn the theory from books and online, but learning the accurate use and feel of arm weight for tone and other technical aspects really requires personal instruction. Nonetheless, in absence of other options, this may provide some value.

And if you lived closer, I'd offer your kids piano lessons for a barter of some sort. That's the only way I do it now. I exchange piano lessons for a friend's daughter for occasional babysitting. Works out well.

Good luck with the music studies!