ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

October 23, 2007

I'm a sap

Every time I read this book I bawl. I don't just shed a tear, I have to fight body wracking sobs. Crazy. So I bought it for all my moms one year for Mother's Day. (hmmm, just thought of a great gift for my sister in law!)

So, today, Trinity insisted I read this book. I always refuse the other kids because they want to see my cry so they can laugh at me. But Trinity just wanted to read a book. Besides, I know it all now, and I am not pregnant, so I will just NOT focus on the words and just mindlessly read it.
But I got into the book. It captivated me and drew me in despite my determination to not hear the words I was reading.
Soon, I was bawling. Tears running down my cheeks, and my chest heaving just a bit as I tried not to disturb Trinity's enjoyment of the story. But I couldn't hold back the sobs.
I have NEVER read this book or heard it read without crying. And I first heard it over 12 years ago while living in Germany.

Here is Robert Munsch's website about the book. You can hear him read the book even. If you do not cry, you are heartless.
This mom has a new baby, and she rocks that little baby and sings it a song, all the way through the terrible twos, the horrid teens, and even adulthood. Then she gets sick and calls for her son, but she can't finish the song because she is so sick. And then the rest of the book happens and I bawl.
(oh, and I just read why he made up that song, and I want to bawl some more! He made up the song in his head after his wife and he had two still born babies, he sang it for them, but couldn't sing it aloud without crying!)

8 people think my kids are qtpies:

Andrea said...

haha...I know exactly what you mean!! Ever since I got pregnant (it must be a mother thing or something) I have CRIED BUCKETS over this book (don't ask me why I bought it for my son, I've never read it to him yet because I know I will CRY AND CRY!)...oh well...it's a good book...I just can't hold back the tears.

Sassyfrazz said...

I don't cry, but I am not heartless. I love that he went home and continued the tradition of rocking his baby back to sleep...but the momma heading across town to pick up her grown man and rocking him is a little weird. When Nathaniel was little I read this book a lot to him, and I made a song out of what the momma sang to her little boy. So, this book has a bit of special meaning to me. That is sad that the author and his wife lost 2 babies...gives the book a new perspective.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I blogged about this book a few months back. It makes me crack as I read the end especially.

Carina said...

I can't say I've experienced the body-wracking sobs reaction, but it certainly does make my eyes get red and puffy.

kerry said...

Can't wait to get a copy of this book. I'm amazed that you have 7 kids. I only have 2 and my world is already upside down now. Planned to have 2 more. :)

Veggiemomof2 said...

My MIL has worked the infant room in the daycare for so long, she knows all the good books. She made a habit of reading this book to all 5 grandkids, so for Christmas one year, I got them all a copy of their own. It's a precious book!

Unknown said...

Another flight attendant gave this to me at work one day when I was pregnant with my first. I didn't read it for over a year. The first time I did, I couldn't even finish it, I was crying so hard. I still sob every time I read it too, even after memorizing it. The lady who gave it to me said the same thing.

Anonymous said...

I have that book too, and it is very sweet. I admit I avoid reading it too, because I really have to fight not to cry. I am one of those woman who is super embarrassed to cry in front of people. But it is getting worse, the older and more hormone issues I have the more I cry at! sheesh...